Worst questions to answer at appeal

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Bigbirdcw

Worst questions to answer at appeal

Post by Bigbirdcw »

Hi All,

Looking for advice before my dd2's appeal hearing in June.

I have a good case (at least I think so), have support from primary school etc and extenuating reasons as to why dd2 did not perform at her best in the exam, she missed by just under 3 marks overall.

Being someone who gets nervous and waffles at presentations, I am trying to prepare as best as I can.

Was just wondering what some of the "worst"/"most difficult" questions people have been asked at the appeal meeting?

Many thanks
BucksBornNBred

Re: Worst questions to answer at appeal

Post by BucksBornNBred »

We found looking through the "11+ Appeals - Feedback from all areas" http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... =35&t=9205 really helped us prepare for any questions that might come up (unfortunately not many people updated last year but I think the questions are still relevant). We made a note of all questions asked and designed answers for each one (not written in stone but so that we were in agreement with approach). Our toughest question was why the HT letter we included didn't seem to be a glowing endorsement. We had thankfully prepared a signal so that if one of us felt better able to answer a question then the other would know and keep schtum... if that makes sense.

Good luck with your appeal :-)
salsa

Post by salsa »

I guess it all depends on the case. I sat with my husband and played the role of the members of the panel.
I wanted my husband to answer some of the questions, but as I prepared the appeal I found they were asking me everything. I would respond and then turn to my husband who would either agree or add information.
I felt emotional on our first appeal and didn't think I did my son justice. He kept his nerve and was able to fill in the gaps. I was very happy he was there and knew all the information.
As ours was an over subscription appeal the panel wanted to know about travel arrangements. As we had gone several times to the school via public transport they were satisfied with our answers.
I had to do it all over again for our second appeal and I was much calmer.
Eirinn00

Post by Eirinn00 »

Bigbirdcw wrote:Hi All,

I have a good case (at least I think so), have support from primary school etc and extenuating reasons as to why dd2 did not perform at her best in the exam, she missed by just under 3 marks overall.

Being someone who gets nervous and waffles at presentations, I am trying to prepare as best as I can.

Was just wondering what some of the "worst"/"most difficult" questions people have been asked at the appeal meeting?

Many thanks
Hi we had our appeal yesterday, I was extremely nervous!! I typed a statement to read out which really helped me and made sure I got everything across that I wanted to say. I found all of the questions ok and easy to answer, my daughters teachers came with us which I feel really helped. Good luck with everything.
salsa

Post by salsa »

Eirinn00 wrote:
Bigbirdcw wrote:Hi All,

Many thanks

Hi we had our appeal yesterday, I was extremely nervous!! I typed a statement to read out which really helped me and made sure I got everything across that I wanted to say. I found all of the questions ok and easy to answer, my daughters teachers came with us which I feel really helped. Good luck with everything.
Well done Eirinn00. Now it is the waiting game again.

How was it having your daughters at the appeal? I think I would have worried about my son's welfare had he been there.

Edited to add: Please ignore comment about your daughters. I misread your post!

Salsa
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now