Lost Appeal - do I have grounds to complain to the EFA?

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

sonsam

Lost Appeal - do I have grounds to complain to the EFA?

Post by sonsam »

I'm feeling pretty desperate, we lost our appeal but I've got concerns that that they didn't consider all our evidence as it was not mentioned in the appeal letter. Is it worth pursuing a complaint?
Etienne

Re: Lost Appeal - do I have grounds to complain to the EFA?

Post by Etienne »

Welcome! :)

Have you read some of the other threads about decision letters?

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 35&t=47337" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 35&t=47206" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne
Chaiwaller

Post by Chaiwaller »

Sorry to hear that, would you like to share the brief points (without too much personal detail)?
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

You can send the decision letter to a 'private' area rather than posting details.
sonsam

Post by sonsam »

Etienne - I have posted some details in the inbox.

I appealed on academic ability, he qualified but got the last qualifying entry score so then we didn't get in on distance. I had a letter from his teacher along with expected SAT's results etc. I also appealed on the grounds that my son had a family trauma the summer before the exam and that he was having a difficult time, I had a letter from the head teacher stating that his performance in school had been effected at this time and we had an outside agency offer counselling shortly after returning to school which continued for 8 weeks and helped him, this was also presented as evidence but there was no mention of this.

The appeal reply says that 'all though the head teacher had notices some effects in school the class teacher reported his results were consistently high'. The letter from the teacher was to support his academic ability, not to contradict what the head had said.
sonsam

Post by sonsam »

Guest55 wrote:You can send the decision letter to a 'private' area rather than posting details.
I have emailed them, thank you :)
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Is it worth pursuing a complaint?
Difficult to say what your chances are - but, if in doubt, why not put in a complaint and see what the EFA think?

If there are inaccuracies/omissions in the decision letter, it depends whether the clerk's notes show these to be significantly more serious than clerical errors.

You could try getting hold of a copy of the clerk's notes, but - as this thread shows - it's not always a straightforward process.
Etienne
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now