CAF

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

zeinab

CAF

Post by zeinab »

We're appealing to more than one grammar school and had to put one down 3rd on the CAF because I was told by the authorities at the time to put the school 1st that my daughter would be most likely to get and the grammar schools which she didn't pass the test for, to be put down after that.

My question is would putting one of the GS ( that we're appealing for soon ) down 3rd or 4th go against us in an appeal. Could the panel say because you didn't put it first on the CAF that means you didn't really want the school and so therefore you've not won? Just thinking of all possible negativities :lol:
PurpleDuck

Re: CAF

Post by PurpleDuck »

Could it help your case if you included in your appeal the fact that the order in which you listed the schools on your CAF was based solely on the official advice you were given and did not reflect your true preference? I don't know whether that would work but just trying to make it into a positivity... :D
It felt like I hit rock bottom; suddenly, there was knocking from beneath... (anon.)
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

PurpleDuck wrote:Could it help your case if you included in your appeal the fact that the order in which you listed the schools on your CAF was based solely on the official advice you were given and did not reflect your true preference? I don't know whether that would work but just trying to make it into a positivity... :D
Yes, please do say this if you are questioned about it - it's one thing for idiots at the school gate to try to impose their ignorance of how the equal preference system works on others, but quite another thing for someone in a position of authority to do it :shock: . The schools have no idea of where the are on your CAF - the grammar schools would have turned you down on the grounds of non-qualification whether you placed then first or fifth. The 'safe' school would tell your LEA that yes, they could offer your child a place, ditto. It's then the LEA's job to work down your list of preferences. 'First preference says no; second preference says no; third preference says yes, therefore offer third preference place to child'. 'Simples' as that cute ( :lol: ) little meerkat would say.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
zeinab

Post by zeinab »

Thanks Duck & Toad! :lol:
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

zeinab wrote:We're appealing to more than one grammar school and had to put one down 3rd on the CAF because I was told by the authorities at the time to put the school 1st that my daughter would be most likely to get and the grammar schools which she didn't pass the test for, to be put down after that.
Who exactly were "the authorities" that told you this?

Advice on this website is correct:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeals/general#a50" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/school ... nce-system" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
My question is would putting one of the GS ( that we're appealing for soon ) down 3rd or 4th go against us in an appeal.Could the panel say because you didn't put it first on the CAF that means you didn't really want the school and so therefore you've not won?
There would probably be trouble if a panel gave that as a reason, and a fair-minded panel wouldn't do it.
No guarantee, though, that an individual panel member might not think it.

Have you considered seeing if your LA will change your order of preference?
Misinformation ought to be a valid reason for such a request.
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeals/general#a26" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne
zeinab

Post by zeinab »

Thank you Etienne and have noted what you have said. It was our LA who advised me at the time. This GS wasn't our preferred anyway because even though we're in the catchment, it is too far away.

We appealed for our preferred GS 2 weeks ago. According to the Clerk of Appeals, results were sent out on the 13th June. We have not received anything at all, which looks bleak. Chased them up via email and phone on 20th and they promised to sent out a copy 1st class. We're still waiting. :( So phoned them now and they asked for me to wait a few more days!

Maybe it's their way of telling us our appeal was not successful, but we have no proof. :(
zeinab

Post by zeinab »

received the results of the appeal today :( - they did not mention her high academic ability at all - also they didn't mention other important extenuating circumstances around the time of her exam which her primary school also noted down and would have confirmed why she was 4 marks away from pass mark - also nothing about FSM kids in her school lagging behind 4 & 3 terms in all subjects but she achieved 3b's and 3c's in yr 2 and 2 x 5B's and 2 X 5C's end of yr 5 and predicted secure+ including maths (which she only got a 5c for in yr5) at the end of yr 6 and she is FSM . They only mentioned her 3 siblings attending / attended GS, and ongoing court case which I had plenty of evidence of as well.

Her school reports mentioned yr after yr DD is an extremely skilled and proficient writer, excellent band of vocabulary, high level of understanding for maths, technically adept writer, extremely high level of comprehension of significant ideas (teachers own words) time and time again were not mentioned. What more do they want as proof that my DD is of the ability required for GS

How can they determine a child's ability & future over a test that lasts an hour or two instead of 7 yrs of solid positive evidence from school reports by those who knew/know her best, how??

Nothing whatsoever about her solid academic ability, nothing :(
Last edited by zeinab on Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
zeinab

Post by zeinab »

know the appeals decision is final and binding on both parties - but we feel they missed and didn't mention the most important factor. her high academic evidence and solid evidence showing why there was a small shortfall in the 1st stage which prevented her from sitting the 2nd..

What can we do if we're not happy. My loaded guns are at the ready, so tread lightly when responding

First the EU Referendum and now it's Mad Mother fighting for a place at the local GS

:mrgreen: :lol:
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Zeinab - please send a copy of the decision letter to the Appeals Box.
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 23#p108023" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne
Amoda

Post by Amoda »

Sorry to hear of the unsuccessful outcome of your appeal.

I hesitated before writing this but will go for it anyway. A friend of mine has just won her appeal for a place at a very selective girls grammar school in Surrey. The points in her appeal were simple, focused solely on her daughter and were clear.

She focused on the following :

1. Evidence of strong academic ability.
2. HOW the extenuating circumstances affected her daughter.
3. Why that particular school would suit her DS.

During the appeal hearing, she reiterated the same simple points and was quite humble in her approach.

I get a sense from your appeal that you included too many points and your main message may have got lost. Including evidence of other children in your child's school who got lower SATS but gained a place at a GS is an irrelevant point to your daughter's case.

I'm not sure what your options are now but others reading this who find themselves in the same predicament next year may want to think about how best to construct their case for maximum impact.

Wishing you all the best with your next move.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now