If your child has been given a place on appeal

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

MedievalBabe

Re: If your child has been given a place on appeal

Post by MedievalBabe »

My DS got in on appeal and when the boys discussed their scores, as it was then, he just ignored them. I know at least one boy in his class knew he got in on appeal so I am assuming that others knew. Your son doesn't have to discuss anything if he doesn't want to.

Initially there was a feeling that he needed to prove himself but he soon found that there was boys in his class who were struggling when he wasn't, now he is at the top of the year for maths and generally at the top of the year for most subjects.
Amber

Post by Amber »

Eccentric wrote:Interestingly she chose to write an "essay on why all education should be free and all schools should be comprehensive" last term.
This child has instincts which are spot on. Put her in touch with me - we need more great political thinkers. :D :D
Catseye

Post by Catseye »

Amber wrote:
Eccentric wrote:Interestingly she chose to write an "essay on why all education should be free and all schools should be comprehensive" last term.
This child has instincts which are spot on. Put her in touch with me - we need more great political thinkers. :D :D
The girl's a genius -I welcome her to the silent revolution-educational apartheid is detrimental to our society.

I know she was not happy at her previous school and moved to a selective school but still has the intelligence to understand that separating children on the basis of supposed intellect at the age of 10/11, religion or gender is self defeating and deeply flawed.

Clever girl, she will go far imo given her own bitter experience.
monochromecat

Post by monochromecat »

Thank you all for the reassurance. We haven't told her the exact mark but she knows it was considerably over the pass mark aggregate cut off, albeit short of pass mark on one paper. I think that we will encourage her to steer clear of discussions but not worry about it too much. She can honestly say that she doesn't know her exact mark but it was well over ***. I imagine with age standardision, lack of tutoring, some moving from private to state etc that the mark won't be a good predictor of position in the class.
Eddas

Post by Eddas »

My dd got in on appeal. She was worried they would ask and we discussed what she would say if it came up and I said to say what she liked but that as her friends from primary knew she probably ought to say she appealed and then gloss over it. Luckily places at her school aren't based on scores, only passing and I don't think many of those who passed would have bothered to find out the actual score (although I would have!!) so I don't think many 'score' discussions would go on. But DD knows that she did gain over the passmark but failed on one paper narrowly. I've always told her this doesn't mean she deserves the place any less. She is in the fortunate position of being amoungst around 50 girls who got into her year on appeal so isn't alone (they put on 2 extra forms).
Matrix

Post by Matrix »

My DC got in on appeal and I am delighted to report has just got straight A*s in 11 GCSEs. Try not to worry about being the lowest score at entry because actually getting a place on appeal means you really do deserve to be there.

Good luck!
salsa

Post by salsa »

Matrix wrote:My DC got in on appeal and I am delighted to report has just got straight A*s in 11 GCSEs. Try not to worry about being the lowest score at entry because actually getting a place on appeal means you really do deserve to be there.

Good luck!
Congratulations! Many parents worry that their children may struggle to keep up with those who performed better on the 11+.

What was your experience?
monochromecat

Post by monochromecat »

A quick update to say that she settled in really quickly, very happy. Keeping up with the rest of the class, came top on a class test. She said that no one talks about the 11 plus, last year's news. She has mentioned to quite a few of her friends that she got in on appeal and no one seems to care so all positive at the moment. She says that a few girls are struggling who passed with lots of tutoring/ from private schools but she seems to be around the middle on most subjects, with a few areas which she is doing really well in.

Definitely worth appealing if you think it is the right school for your child. Good luck to all those going through it this year.
salsa

Post by salsa »

Glad to hear your news and that everything is going well. It is worrying for a lot of parents how children will cope once they are in whether they got in on appeal or not.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now