Urgent 11+ non-qulification appeal Bucks

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
astro

Urgent 11+ non-qulification appeal Bucks

Post by astro »

my youngest son did pass his 11+ he got STTS: 102 (Verbal: 54.86 Numerical: 30.88 Non Verbal: 16.54). thanks to the help of sally-Anne and Etienne my youngest daughters 11+ appeal was successful in 2012. and last year my oldest son passed his 11+ so all three older siblings go to grammar school. my son was diagnosed with having deficiency in iron (serum ferritin 11 ng/mL optimum 22-275) and vitamin D (34.7 nmol/l optimum 80- 150) on 4/10/2016 his treatment started 10/10/12016 and his eye sight changed from R -2.25 L -2.50 measured on 14/02/2016 to R -3.00 L-3.00 measured on 26/10/2016. the optician stated that this would affect his general sight close and for.I had to fill in a medical form for school (28/10/2016) on which i did not state that he was taking medication for iron and vitamin D deficiency, but my son told the teacher who said to me that its important i put this on the from (1/112016) so i checked the symptoms of iron and vitamin deficiency. for iron they include being tired all the the time,short term memory loss lack of concentration studies also showed decreased performance(speed) in accuracy of cognitive function over a broad range of task.i have spoken to the head teacher to day and she has written her recommendation GRAMMAR SCHOOL SUITABILITY 2 ATTITUDE TO LEARNING 2
ks1 end of y3 end of y4 end of y5 Predicted performance July 2017

reading 3C GDS EXS EXS EXS (104)

writing 2A EXS HNM EXS EXS

maths 3C GDS EXS GDS EXS (110)

Please tick this box if you are aware of any exceptional or extenuating circumstances and give details YES

At the end of Key stage 1 XXXXXX presented as a high achieving pupil across all areas of the curriculum. As he
progressed through KS2 there were noticeable drops in his ability to concentrate for long periods of time. He would
tire very quickly and had little stamina. Recently parents have been informed that XXXXX is both Vitamin D and
Iron deficient and has been placed on medication to address this. This deficiency has been shown to have an
adverse effect on the ability to perform in cognitive tests. Since the medication started in October 2016, school
has already noticed a dramatic improvement in XXXXX progress and attainment. His ability to perform at
cognitive tasks is rapidly and consistently improving and he is able to complete the challenging work set for higher
ability pupils.

6. Headteacher’s additional information (including, if a suitability Level of 3 has been given, a clarification of the reservation held):

XXXXX is a high achieving pupil and continues to secure higher than expected attainment in Reading and Maths. His progress over time in KS2 temporarily dipped due to a deficiency in iron and vitamin D, however since receiving regular medication for this condition XXXXX is now consistently demonstrating that he is able to achieve at above average levels. He is a highly motivated student with a mature work ethic. He continually strives to give his very best and is determined to succeed. XXXXX is an exemplary student and is a very positive role model for his peers, particularly those for whom English is an additional language. He has excellent interpersonal skills and he makes a very valuable contribution to the wider work of the school, often inspiring others through peer mentoring and coaching. XXXXXXX is independent and enjoys positions of responsibility. XXXXXXX has a natural ability in Reading and Maths and is able to think through problems logically. He easily manipulates numbers in investigations and enjoys solving high order mathematical challenges. He has an excellent range of vocabulary and a high level of general knowledge which he applies across the curriculum. He contributes well in discussions and enjoys exploring new areas of learning. XXXXXX consistently demonstrates his ability to be a reliable and supportive of others around him. He is well supported at home and always completes his homework to a high standard, using his initative to research additional facts or explore supporting themes. I have no doubt that he will thrive in the challenging environment of a grammar school and that he deserves the opportunity to reach his potential within that context.

I strongly recommend XXXXXX without reservation.

I have asked the doctor for a medical report which she shall do by Friday.
any help with presenting the case would be much appreciated
hermanmunster

Re: Urgent 11+ non-qulification appeal Bucks

Post by hermanmunster »

Hi Astro

It might be a little bit easier to read your post (and comment on it) if you could put it in paragraphs or list the points
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Welcome back! :)

There have been changes since you were last posting on the forum (December 2011?).

Have you followed the links to reviews/appeals in Sally-Anne's post?
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 12&t=48535" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Once you've finished reading, if you still have unanswered questions, do please let us know.
Etienne
astro

Post by astro »

sorry about the jumbled up post previously.i was trying to get to much information.
the basic facts are

1) my son got a score STTS: 102 (Verbal: 54.86 Numerical: 30.88 Non Verbal: 16.54)

2) he was diagnosed(04/10/2016) with vitamin D and ferritin deficiency ( body's iron stores). I have a letter from the doctors stating that these deficiency MAY result in symptoms such as tiredness and lack of energy. I have read studies which state that theses deficiency's showed decreased performance(speed) in accuracy of cognitive function over a broad range of task. http://www.fusionpowerbandz.com/assets/ ... sBrain.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
is it worth citing this web site?

3) his eye sight deteriorated from Right eye -2.25 Left eye -2.50 on 14/02/2016 to R-3.00 L-3.00 on 26/10/2016.

4) Due to a family break up we had an additional 4 people living in a 3 bedroom house with no parlor room from beginning of April till end of May. comprising of 3 adults a child under 1 year, 4 primary school children including my son and two secondary school children totaling 10 people one sitting final year GCSE exams and the other sitting 2 early GCSE exams in year 10.

5) constant disruption to family life, such as police visits social services visits, after end of may due to the family break up of the additional people that lived here.
I can get letters confirming this.

6) the pressure of sibling rivalry as all other siblings attend grammar school.

Headteacher's recommendation: I strongly recommend XXXXXX without reservation.

GRAMMAR SCHOOL SUITABILITY 2 ATTITUDE TO LEARNING 2

Exceptional or extenuating circumstances:

At the end of Key stage 1 XXXXXX presented as a high achieving pupil across all areas of the curriculum. As he
progressed through KS2 there were noticeable drops in his ability to concentrate for long periods of time. He would tire very quickly and had little stamina. Recently parents have been informed that XXXXX is both Vitamin D and Iron deficient and has been placed on medication to address this. This deficiency has been shown to have an
adverse effect on the ability to perform in cognitive tests. Since the medication started in October 2016, school
has already noticed a dramatic improvement in XXXXX progress and attainment. His ability to perform at
cognitive tasks is rapidly and consistently improving and he is able to complete the challenging work set for higher
ability pupils.

6. Headteacher’s additional information

XXXXX is a high achieving pupil and continues to secure higher than expected attainment in Reading and Maths. His progress over time in KS2 temporarily dipped due to a deficiency in iron and vitamin D, however since receiving regular medication for this condition XXXXX is now consistently demonstrating that he is able to achieve at above average levels. He is a highly motivated student with a mature work ethic. He continually strives to give his very best and is determined to succeed. XXXXX is an exemplary student and is a very positive role model for his peers, particularly those for whom English is an additional language. He has excellent interpersonal skills and he makes a very valuable contribution to the wider work of the school, often inspiring others through peer mentoring and coaching. XXXXXXX is independent and enjoys positions of responsibility. XXXXXXX has a natural ability in Reading and Maths and is able to think through problems logically. He easily manipulates numbers in investigations and enjoys solving high order mathematical challenges. He has an excellent range of vocabulary and a high level of general knowledge which he applies across the curriculum. He contributes well in discussions and enjoys exploring new areas of learning. XXXXXX consistently demonstrates his ability to be a reliable and supportive of others around him. He is well supported at home and always completes his homework to a high standard, using his initative to research additional facts or explore supporting themes. I have no doubt that he will thrive in the challenging environment of a grammar school and that he deserves the opportunity to reach his potential within that context.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

And the answer to my question is ....... ? :)

If you need help with presentation, the links given above tell you what to focus on, and there's even a sample letter to guide you (although nothing you write is likely to make much difference - decisions will almost certainly be based on the evidence provided).

Are you going for a review or appeal? The title of your topic says "appeal", but your timing suggests this might possibly be a review.
Have you read the information we give on the differences between a review and an appeal? Have you studied the pros and cons?
Have you noted that the success rate last year for reviews with a score of 102 was 0%?

I can see some strong points in your case, but a lot could depend on how successful your primary school's '2' recommendations have been overall (i.e. how realistic they have been).
Etienne
astro

Post by astro »

I did not choose any grammar schools for his secondary schools as I didn't now about the symptoms for the iron deficiency and the doctors letter states that improvements will be noticeable after 3 months or more. Would it be possible for me to change the school preferences at this stage. And would it be better for me to do an appeal latter on with improvements in his school work
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

You can't get a GS place if you have not put one on the CAF.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeals/general#a26" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Normally you have to wait until March to change your preferences.

New preferences are then considered in the next round of allocations.

When you are refused, you can appeal.

It would do no harm to contact Admissions now, explain why you want to alter your preferences, and see what they say. Ask if they have any discretion in your situation (when there's been a change in your circumstances).

However, the 'normal' policy is as set out on page 103 of the LA's secondary Guide:
By 15 March, you need to let us know what you want to do with the offer. You should tell us if you want to:
• Accept the place offered
• Decline the place offered
• Go on the waiting list for a school we could not offer
• Change your list of preferences
Etienne
astro

Post by astro »

I spoke to bucks county council admission's this morning they said that i can change my school preference to include grammar schools on the list until 21st November. I was told that the application shall be recorded as late but will get allocations in the first round. now the dilemma is that should I go for a review or appeal at the later date.
i have letters from the doctor regarding iron and vitamin D deficiency. letter regarding over crowding from the council and I shall be quoting from the NHS regarding iron and vitamin D deficiency as the doctors letter is vague.
full support of headteacher with academic records showing a drop of attainment in key stage 2.

Is it worth mentioning that his other siblings go to grammar school which put more pressure on him to passs the transfer test

i have decided to leave out the fact that his eye sight changed by -0.75 in one eye and -0.50 in the other from 14/02/2016 eye sight prescription to 26/10/2016 eye sight prescription as already have three reasons for the short fall in his marks
what additional benefit would i have if i went for an appeal as i cant think of anything extra that i can say in the appeal for a successful out come.
astro

Post by astro »

is it worth mentioning that he school that my son attendants is not a high achieving or outstanding school in the ofsted report. if i did would it be worth mentioning that despite the medical condition and the school not bieing a outstanding school he was still able to achieve as "has met " for reading and writing and GDS in maths in year 5 and predicted results for july 2017 as "has met"
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now