Help on Appeal !!

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

worried_mum

Help on Appeal !!

Post by worried_mum »

Hi Etienne,

Could you please help me as we would need guidance on appealing for oversubscription in QE?

We need guidance on:

1. On appeal form it says do we wish to attend the appeal hearing personally ? I hope it means by the actual appeal before the panel. I have marked yes.

2. My DS is on waiting list in 40s. Will the appeal panel be aware of it ? We are hoping he might make it through waiting list but still every year is different and we don't want to miss the chance.

3. My DS has cleared almost all the exams he sat in with flying colors including Reading Boys - score 122.30, Bucks - score [removed by Moderator], slough - 131 , Wilson's ,Sutton , Wallington etc. Unfortunately , as we can't move from where we live due to our financial circumstances we have to appeal for QE in which he scored 227.Can we provide other results as evidence.

4. He is currently working on GCSE Maths with his Maths teacher in school .He is working at Level 6 in both Maths and English. His reading age is 15+. The school is happy to provide us with whatsoever academic evidence we want.
What all academic evidences should we collect. What all academic evidences should we submit with the appeal form initially?

5. Mitigating Circumstances - My son had fever for two days before exam , which we strongly believe is one of the reasons for his underperformance on this particular exam. We made him write the exam as we thought he will be fine, which we shouldn't have done considering the problems we are facing now. We have evidence from GP as he had to visit GP one day before exam.

6. Will EP report be helpful ? Have people provided it earlier to get positive results ?

I hope you and others will be able to answer my questions and help. I am really worried and hope everything turns out to be good in the end.

Thanks
mad?

Re: Help on Appeal !!

Post by mad? »

Welcome worried_mum.

Can I suggest you read through the Q & As here
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 35&t=35032" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
and then follow up with anything you think is not covered.
Good luck
mad?
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

1. On appeal form it says do we wish to attend the appeal hearing personally ? I hope it means by the actual appeal before the panel. I have marked yes.
Not absolutely essential but much harder if you aren't there, so yes.
2. My DS is on waiting list in 40s. Will the appeal panel be aware of it ? We are hoping he might make it through waiting list but still every year is different and we don't want to miss the chance.
It is advised that you stay on the waiting list

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... school#c17" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
3. My DS has cleared almost all the exams he sat in with flying colors including Reading Boys - score 122.30, Bucks score [removed by Moderator], slough - 131 , Wilson's ,Sutton , Wallington etc. Unfortunately , as we can't move from where we live due to our financial circumstances we have to appeal for QE in which he scored 227.Can we provide other results as evidence.
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... cation#b50" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

4. He is currently working on GCSE Maths with his Maths teacher in school .He is working at Level 6 in both Maths and English. His reading age is 15+. The school is happy to provide us with whatsoever academic evidence we want.
What all academic evidences should we collect. What all academic evidences should we submit with the appeal form initially?
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... cation#b11" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
5. Mitigating Circumstances - My son had fever for two days before exam , which we strongly believe is one of the reasons for his underperformance on this particular exam. We made him write the exam as we thought he will be fine, which we shouldn't have done considering the problems we are facing now. We have evidence from GP as he had to visit GP one day before exam

Difficult as you are advised not to let the child sit the exam if they are unwell

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... cation#b25" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
6. Will EP report be helpful ? Have people provided it earlier to get positive results ?
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... ication#b3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
worried_mum

Post by worried_mum »

Hi ,

While appealing for QE , we have contacted an educational psychologist. Can someone please advice what things/subjects need to be assessed ? What results should be there in the report , to strongly support the appeal ?
I have no clue what needs to be there in the report ?
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

The EP should conduct a standard battery of tests (usually WISC tests) to assess your son's ability and provide you with an analysis of the results. If the tests reveal any underlying learning difficulties they should go on to conduct further diagnostic tests and analysis.

If the EP doesn't know what tests to conduct in this situation, you should be looking elsewhere!
worried_mum

Post by worried_mum »

Hi Sally-Anne,

We have finally shortlisted two EP's for our DS's Mental IQ assessment.

They have suggested WISC Tests for him and would require 3-4 sessions. His school does not do CAT Scores, but they have given a very strong support letter and his mock SAT's Results (which were outstanding).

What else will be /should be done besides the tests mentioned below:

1. Mental ability tests using various (WISC-IV UK) tests:
(Verbal Reasoning ,Perceptual Reasoning ,Working Memory ,Processing Speed ,Average of above )

2. Should Attainment (WIAT-II) tests be also done ?
(includes Word Reading - reading age, Spelling -spelling age)

3.Numeric Operations - numeric age

Please suggest as we need to go ahead with the tests ASAP.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

worried_mum wrote:They have suggested WISC Tests for him and would require 3-4 sessions.
I am somewhat surprised at the suggestion of 3 - 4 sessions. Normally the tests would be conducted in one session lasting 2 - 3 hours with short rest breaks in between each set of tests. The WISC tests take around an hour https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wechsler_ ... r_Children" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
(yes, it's Wikipedia, but the detail looks accurate enough).

Beyond the tests you mention, which are the standard foran EP assessment, I would expect diagnostic tests to be conducted if the WISC and WRAT reveal any significant discrepancies. The EP should have those to hand and be able to administer them within the same testing session. I can't advise on what they might be because a) I'm not an EP, and b) it will depend on the results of the first test battery.
worried_mum

Post by worried_mum »

Thanks Sally-Anne.

I have send an email on appeal box .
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Option 2 without a doubt, despite the inconvenience.
worried_mum

Post by worried_mum »

Thanks Sally-Anne :)

We have our son's psychologist's report with us today.

His results are :

WISC IV Test Scores:

Verbal Comprehension : 106 / 66 Percentile/ Average
Perceptual Reasoning : 131 / 98 percentile/ Very superior
Working Memory :107 / 68 Percentile / Average
Processing Speed :131/98 Percentile/Very superior
Summary : His Full-Scale IQ is 125 and he is at 95 Percentile. His scores are very superior in processing speed and perceptual reasoning scale.

WIAT II at age 10 years 9 months

Reading Age : 16 years

Basic Reading :127/96 Percentile
Reading Comprehension: 125 / 95 Percentile
Spelling : 136 / 99 Percentile
Numerical Operations : 160 / >99.9 Percentile

Summary :WIAT Results are well above the range expected for a pupil of his age. His ability in Numerical Operations is extremely high

Do you think submitting this report will be helpful? Is his report good enough(for schools like QE) ? The psychologist said he did really well and was very happy.

Would average in verbal and memory have some negative impact?

While presenting the report can we rearrange and put the WIAT results before the WISC Results ?

We need to send the report by 12 May so would appreciate quick response.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now