11+ Grammar Schools Appeals Book

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
bow

Post by bow »

I bought the book- before I found this forum- & was quite disappointed. Admittedly there are some good examples to enable you to benchmark your grounds and situation- but I don't feel like I've been guided through the appeal procedure at all.... We are appealing to a Slough grammar school- the hearing is not until the end of April. It is hard to get any insight into Slough system- so I have read the Bucks thread with interest.- much more helpful than the book-I believe the author is very successful at the tutoring- perhaps he should have stayed within his area of 'expertise' ...or at least been clearer about what the book provides- ie a few examples of successful appeals.
As pointed out- its actually very expensive - I feel perhaps I have been taken advantage of in my 'desperation' !!
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Hi, Catherine. Thanks for the link. The paragraph on "Procedure" reads to me like a selection appeal. The paragraph on "The Decision" looks (mostly) like a transfer appeal. There is then the separate paragraph "Successful appeals whose score was below 111" which says how a place will be allocated. How this all fits together is far from clear!!! - confirms my feeling that it's unwise for an authority to blur the distinction between selection and transfer (if this is what is actually happening), not least because of the confusion it might cause.

I've no knowledge of Slough, but I assume this is a group of grammar schools, each of which is a foundation school and its own admission authority.

The advantage of the Bucks CC system is that the procedures are much clearer, and successful appellants do not miss out on the main round of allocations.

What concerns me about the book is that it gives the impression that the arrangements the author describes are applicable nationally, when this is clearly not the case. It takes no account of authorities such as Buckinghamshire (the only wholly selective authority in the country), where parents could be misled by his advice. How many authorities did he research, I wonder, to ensure the accuracy of the book?

Regards
Etienne
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

Dear Etienne,

I would have expected the author of a book on appeals to have a very good insight into, at least, the procedure of the LEAs he is familiar with.

The tutor group is based in Slough and prepares for many different entry exams into selective schools, including Slough and Bucks.

Regards

Catherine
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

I agree, Catherine. And if the author hasn't bothered to research more widely, the book should come with a warning, e.g. "The arrangements described in this book apply to X Authority, and should be similar in other parts of the country, but parents need to check carefully for any local variations. All procedures must comply with the law and the Dfes Code of Practice."
Etienne