Appeal 120 Mark - Bucks

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Gurji

Appeal 120 Mark - Bucks

Post by Gurji »

Do you guys have any suggestions about how i justify a place for my child having missed 1 mark...

I stuck really...

Could i possibly use mitigating circumstances of persistent migraines accompanied with a doctor's letter?

What are the chances of this approach to appeal panel?

Thanks for help,

Worried mum (help!)
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi gurji

Please remember that it is only one mark (although it would be useful to know your child's other score) and so mitigating circumstances are going to be less important at your Appeal than simply proving that the child is suitable for a GS.

If the migraines were on the days of the tests (or the 2 days immediately before each test) a panel might ask why you sent your child in for the test when s/he was unwell, as all the advice says that you should not.

However, if a doctor's letter confirms that they are so frequent that you had to take a chance, the panel might be more sympathetic.

I suggest that you focus on academic evidence in every way that you can.

Sally-Anne

Post by Guest »

Sally Anne - I appreciate that, missing by one mark, the appeal needs to be based on Gurji's child's suitability for grammar school. But I just wondered if she could boost her case by mentioning the migraines?
Obviously she wouldn't have sent her child in to do the test with a migraine but I know when I've had one I can feel completely wiped out for days after the migraine has gone. Also, if he/she's missed some schooling because of repeated migraines, this might have had an impact on learning.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi Guest

I understand what you are saying. My mum had frequent migraines, and I had two migraines many years ago - not something I hope will recur in future.

I think that the important factor is to link the migraines to the 11 plus in a meaningful way, and if possible to get verification from the school as well as the GP on the possible impact that the health issue may have had on the test days.

Sally-Anne