Selection Review Preparation. Bucks 11 +

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Etienne

Re: Selection Review Preparation. Bucks 11 +

Post by Etienne »

Kash72 wrote:The HT has has given a 2:1 for recommendation
This looks fine - but because you're out of county, there is no 'context'.
Perhaps there were only a handful of pupils from the school who entered for the test? This would make it difficult to judge whether the head is giving a realistic recommendation.
See E9b :
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... laneous#e9" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
    • The LA has used the recommendation gradings for the children to provide an individual and school summary grid. They incorporate this onto a sheet titled ‘School Summary – Selection Appeals, Year of Entry …..’.
      Panels will be told the total number of children recommended under each heading, and how many of those children qualified.
My understanding is that, apart from partner schools, no "school summary grid" for non-Bucks schools is made available to panels, because - unlike in Bucks - out of county recommendations are made after the 11+ results are known (and might therefore be influenced by them), and because the total number of candidates is unlikely to be sufficient for any meaningful conclusion to be drawn.
and has written a strong supportive statement outlining her attitude to work, determination and so forth.
It would have been better to put the focus on academic ability.
See:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... cation#b48" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Guest55 wrote:They will know the school's data for this year.
I'm uncertain whether this information is available to panels for out of county schools. (I know it's publicly available, but if SRP members started looking up supplementary information that isn't in their case papers, it would raise questions about the consistency of the process!)
A copy of the review paperwork is made available in the event of an appeal, so perhaps someone out of county who's been through a Bucks non-qualification appeal could tell us whether their school's data was included in the case papers?
Etienne
Kash72

Post by Kash72 »

Thank you Etienne I totally understand what you have written. Will just have to submit the case and hope for the best
Kash72

Post by Kash72 »

Hi

I am now close to submitting my selection review paperwork, however I have a question!!

Our primary school is now using the following performance tool indicator to measure a child progress:

B - Below
W- Within
S- Secure
M-Mastery

My dd is graded as Ss in Reading, Writing, Maths and Science with some areas of Mastery at the end of year 5, would it alongside this her teachers have written very supportive comments with regards to her academic potential, Would it be worth submitting a copy of the year 5 report based on the above? I am unsure what to do :cry:

Thanks
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Does it add to what the Head has written? If so then submit it.

I think panels will have school data or schools in Bucks would be treated differently, which would be unfair.
Kash72

Post by Kash72 »

Fingers crossed for tomorrow when bucks will be notifying everyone of selection review successes. Hope it goes well for everyone :) Am I correct in that we will receive the letter tomorrow?
FinalHurdle

Post by FinalHurdle »

Letters are sent out 1st class tomorrow so I'm expecting my letter in the post on Saturday morning.

I feel quite sick now and feel much worse than I did when we waiting for the actual results in October. I always knew that if it wasn't the result we were hoping for that we'd have the SRP route to try but this now feels like the last chance saloon.

Best of luck to you and everyone else in this unenviable position.
Kash72

Post by Kash72 »

Thanks Final Hurdle, I totally relate to how you are feeling it's nerve racking for adults let alone the child who has sat the exam and has to go on through this process. All the best and hope the postman bears good news on Saturday.
Kash72

Post by Kash72 »

Postman has brought us good news today, we were literally huddled around the letterbox to grab the letter! I am still rather dazed as its quite a stressful process to wait so long to hear the outcome, however we can now move forward. Would like to say a special thanks to all the people on this forum for making this process a little more bearable and a very special thanks to Etienne for her guidance and direction, we had what I thought not very strong extenuating circumstances however something must have struck a chord! Thanks again for all your help.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

You worked really hard on your review, Kash.

I'm so pleased to hear of the successful outcome.

As I said early on with regard to the apparent requirement for extenuating circumstances, "I'm not sure whether to believe this if someone scores very close to 121".

They must have found your academic evidence persuasive!

Many congratulations! :D
Etienne
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now