Selection Review Preparation. Bucks 11 +

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Kash72

Selection Review Preparation. Bucks 11 +

Post by Kash72 »

Hi

Congrats to all those whose dds gained the qualifying mark for entrance to Bucks grammar schools. My dd missed the score by 3 and her stts is 118. I would like advice on how to prepare for a selection panel review, I have already been in touch with my dds head teacher for support as my dd is a well rounded student in top sets for all subjects. There are no extenuating circumstances on why she fell short of the qualifying mark and I am not sure what to include in my supporting statement. My other dd is already at a grammar school and I think the pressure my younger dd felt to perform well may have been a factor, but one that is difficult to prove. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Etienne

Re: Selection Review Preparation. Bucks 11 +

Post by Etienne »

Welcome to Appeals! :)

Have you followed the links to reviews/appeals in Sally-Anne's post?
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 12&t=48535" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
If so, you'll have seen our suggested list of academic evidence.

You will also have seen that in previous years “The SRP [selection review panel] will normally expect there to be strong evidence of both high academic ability and exceptional reasons for underperformance in the tests.” [our emphasis]
Etienne
Kash72

Post by Kash72 »

Hi Etienne

I have followed the links but think I am missing something as I have not found any thing on Selection Review Prep. I am not to worried about evidence for strong academic ability as my dd has an excellent school record, what does worry me is not being able to provide and proove any extenuating circumstances. My dd did lose her grandmother earlier in the year however its difficult to prove that this may have had an impact on her test and whether this is worth mentioning?

Thanks
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Please check that you are clear whether you want a selection review or an appeal.

You don't present evidence in person at a review.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

I would like advice on how to prepare for a selection panel review
You prepare by following the links I've given which will take you to academic evidence (for a review or appeal) and to extenuating circumstances. We even draw attention to a letter of appeal that can "easily be adapted for a review"!
Is there anything we haven't covered? :)
My dd did lose her grandmother earlier in the year however its difficult to prove that this may have had an impact on her test and whether this is worth mentioning?
I doubt this will stand up to scrutiny if you're simultaneously arguing how well she's been doing in class? Or do you have some hard evidence that her routine work suffered earlier in the year?

I just wanted to caution you that exceptional circumstances have hitherto been a normal 'requirement' for a successful review (although I'm not sure whether to believe this if someone scores very close to 121 and has consistently been significantly above average in reading, writing and maths).
Etienne
Kash72

Post by Kash72 »

Thanks Etienne,

Basically I suppose Im asking do I need to have a set of extenuating circumstances. I do recall one other fact being that on the day of Prep test the school that administered the test was very disorganised and there was a lot if chaos in getting children registered so on. This did worry dd on the day and on the actual day of the test she did state that she didnt like the idea of having to wait so long to register as it made her feel nervous I did at that time for off an email to bucks cc complaining about the lack of organisation on the prep day do you think this is a good enough argument to suggest she may have been more stressed than normal? If so would it be worth sending a copy of that email in with the review?

Also can I send in copies of certificates of acheivements with the review?

Thanks
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Kash72 wrote:Thanks Etienne,
Basically I suppose Im asking do I need to have a set of extenuating circumstances.
And I keep telling you that they say they're normally looking for exceptional circumstances at a review. :)

I might be in a better position to advise when you have your selection review summary sheet, and we know just how strong a case it presents overall.
I do recall one other fact being that on the day of Prep test the school that administered the test was very disorganised and there was a lot if chaos in getting children registered so on. This did worry dd on the day and on the actual day of the test she did state that she didnt like the idea of having to wait so long to register as it made her feel nervous I did at that time for off an email to bucks cc complaining about the lack of organisation on the prep day do you think this is a good enough argument to suggest she may have been more stressed than normal? If so would it be worth sending a copy of that email in with the review?
It sounds unexceptional.
Also can I send in copies of certificates of acheivements with the review?
Yes - but it's not worth it unless they're for significant academic achievement.
Etienne
Kash72

Post by Kash72 »

Ok thanks Etienne, I will see what happens at the Head teachers meeting and will post once I have the selection review sheet as it will give us a better idea.
MillyMollyMandy

Post by MillyMollyMandy »

And I keep telling you that they say they're looking for exceptional circumstances at a review.
Is a review different to an appeal in this regard? The Appeals Code does not refer to there having to be exceptional circumstances so are you saying that whilst you can be successful at appeal with strong academic evidence but no extenuating circumstances, at review they can expect there to be exceptional extenuating circumstances (because it's not actually an appeal the Appeals Code does not apply)?

What if a panel at appeal also required that there must be exceptional extenuating circumstances even though the Appeals Code does not require this (as well as exceptional academic evidence) for an appeal to be successful ?
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

MillyMollyMandy wrote:Is a review different to an appeal in this regard?
Yes! :)
The Appeals Code does not refer to there having to be exceptional circumstances so are you saying that whilst you can be successful at appeal with strong academic evidence but no extenuating circumstances, at review they can expect there to be exceptional extenuating circumstances (because it's not actually an appeal the Appeals Code does not apply)?
Yes! :)
What if a panel at appeal also required that there must be exceptional extenuating circumstances even though the Appeals Code does not require this (as well as exceptional academic evidence) for an appeal to be successful ?
It's not a requirement - it's entirely discretionary. If you're appealing for, say, two different grammar schools, you'd probably get two different appeal panels, and each could in theory take a completely different view with regard to extenuating circumstances. (You potentially increase your chances by having 2 or more appeals!)

However, I would have thought the lower the score, the more likely it is that an appeal panel would like to see an explanation for the underperformance.
Etienne