Appeal (Kent)

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Crackerjax

Re: Appeal (Kent)

Post by Crackerjax »

Thanks Etienne,

I think he's thinking along the lines that if it hadn't been for hta, if we were a in another county - we would have had to appeal for dd1. Yet 3 years later and she has done so well. So really, she had a blip on the day just like dd2.
I can see where's he's coming from, but I have explained from your point of you .. so unless any questions from the panel about her, we will not mention it.

I will be so glad when this is all over ... I am a total nervous wreck about the whole thing, but thankfully dd2 is positive about her allocated school. She doesn't know we're definitely appealing, so hasn't a clue that we have a date, but we have explained how over subscribed it is and that there is little hope of a place. Her reply was, it's ok .. I'll just do the 13+ ... joy lol
doodles

Post by doodles »

Crackerjax wrote: Her reply was, it's ok .. I'll just do the 13+ ... joy lol
I'm not sure there is a 13+ in Kent :shock: unless of course you are referring to Bexley which I think perhaps does have it.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

Cranbrook in Kent still has an intake at 13 but has just started entry at 11 so it is a smaller intake. I am not aware of Bexley having any formal intake outside of 11 plus. They have in Year places like many other grammar schools but these are very ad-hoc. Independents in Kent will more likely have entry at 13.
doodles

Post by doodles »

PWF, I'm not sure about Bexley but I do remember a discussion about it on here absolutely ages ago but I can't find it and of course in may be out of date by now.

You are right it is mainly the independent school that have formal yr9 entries.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
lefol

Post by lefol »

Bexley do have a 12+ and a 13+ , you apply and sit the exams towards Easter and May. The best thing is to contact the school admissions team for advice as they may have changed the format . The child has to be working at the level of grammar school children to be eligible to take the test. Mr Hill or one of his colleagues at the school admission team can explain the process to you .
heartmum

Post by heartmum »

We're from a different area to you so cannot comment on additional year intakes (Buckinghamshire) however DC failed to get a place at grammar - initially not qualifying in the 11+, then qualifying at an another grammar - no spaces so put on a waiting list - no movement. DC decided to have a go at the 13+, qualified and got an offer, so DC will be joining grammar school for Year 9 :D A very happy DC (and parent) - a great outcome for us.

Never loose heart, things happen for a reason, DC has greatly matured, grown in confidence at current secondary school and personally I feel more than ready to join the grammar in Year 9 and hold their own. Obviously a bonus that their older DC already attends the school :D
Heartmum x x x
Crackerjax

Post by Crackerjax »

thank you ladies ... perfectly understand about maturity and confidence Heartmum, dd1 was a blubbering wreck on her first day, infact the first week we had tears every morning - she had just turned 11years. My nephews however, are just coming to the end of their first year in secondary and are both 13 .. we do an extra year in primary and I feel that extra year makes all the difference. By the time dd1 started y8, she was like a completely different child.

But for dd2, whether it's 12+ or 13+, I'm aware that once she's settled that might change - her allocated school is a good one. But I know that when the time comes, it will hit home that she's not with her friends and I may have a blubbering wreck on my hands again. Dd1 was the only one of her friends to go to gs while dd2 is the only one of her friends not going to gs.

I still have another few weeks until my appeal, just been working on my presentation (we're allowed 3mins) so I'll probably have until close to the end of June to get our letter.
Crackerjax

Post by Crackerjax »

Good morning,

So we recently had our appeal, I will post feedback as soon as we have our letter. But I was just wondering if it is likely the panel would have already made up their minds beforehand? They just seemed toooo nice and agreed with everything we said, one even mentioning that a 10 year child has not been taught how to deal with taking a formal test. I do know not to read too much into anything so I'm going to try as best I can not to think about it for the next few days.

But, the school rep mentioned something in her little speech and a panel member asked questions about it.
We were on the 2nd day of hearings, and I assume the school rep reads the same speech off for every case .. if so, would this not have been picked up beforehand? It was to do with numbers/waiting lists etc.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Crackerjax wrote:Good morning,

So we recently had our appeal, I will post feedback as soon as we have our letter. But I was just wondering if it is likely the panel would have already made up their minds beforehand? They just seemed toooo nice and agreed with everything we said, one even mentioning that a 10 year child has not been taught how to deal with taking a formal test. I do know not to read too much into anything so I'm going to try as best I can not to think about it for the next few days.

But, the school rep mentioned something in her little speech and a panel member asked questions about it.
We were on the 2nd day of hearings, and I assume the school rep reads the same speech off for every case .. if so, would this not have been picked up beforehand? It was to do with numbers/waiting lists etc.
The huge disadvantage with running completely individual appeals where there are multiple appeals for the same admissions round at the same school, is ensuring that every appellant has the same relevant information about the school. The panel member had probably asked the same question, for clarification, at every single individual hearing, if the information was something the school had not made clear in their written submission that everyone had got in front of them. Group appeals, with one presentation from the school / LA representative and everyone hearing all the same questions and corresponding answers, are a much better way of organising things IMHO.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Crackerjax

Post by Crackerjax »

I am sure they will all know the little speech off by heart by the end of the week after hearing it so many times.

The school rep basically said that even though over subscribed, they were prepared to offer max 32 per class meaning that there are possible 11 places available, this may increase by 1 or 2 over the next few days. The panel member asked if all places were not filled through appeal, would they be offered to the waiting list - to which he was told no.

We were told by the school rep outside that the appeal's clerk is super efficient and will get letters out sooner rather than later after the last appeal on Thursday. DD doesn't know we went today, infact she doesn't know that we have continued with the process, so what she doesn't know won't hurt her.