If your child has been given a place on appeal

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
monochromecat

If your child has been given a place on appeal

Post by monochromecat »

Have they told classmates? Do others ask? What has your child said about it if asked? There are a number of others going who know that dd didn't pass 11plus and got in on appeal so denial wouldn't work. She is worried that she might be singled out because of it. Just interested to hear how others have managed it or whether it hasn't been an issue. There were only a small number admitted on appeal most of whom also hadn't passed 11plus.
scary mum

Re: If your child has been given a place on appeal

Post by scary mum »

It is irrelevant. The pint of appeals is to put right wrings due to not performing on the day. No need to discuss any if it, and I know none of mine have ever been in the least bit interested in other children's scores.
scary mum
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Some of my best students have been children who got in on appeal - remember they've had to prove they deserve a place! Others might have just 'got lucky' on the day ..

I've never heard students discuss scores - perhaps that's because Bucks has a qualification score and anything above is irrelevant?
Last edited by Guest55 on Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Amber

Post by Amber »

Guest55 wrote: I've never heard students discuss scores - perhaps that's because Bucks has a qualification score and anything above is irrelevant?
Here it is done on rankings but I have never heard of discussion of scores either, even though some qualified for the GS which requires a higher score, and turned it down. And some who got in on appeal or came as in-year admissions are the top performers now. Totally irrelevant - don't fret about it.

Scary - was your 'o' key malfunctioning? :)
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Scary - was your 'o' key malfunctioning? :)
More likely fat fingers or than darned auto correct! Or thinking about a pint of G&T!
scary mum
BucksBornNBred

Post by BucksBornNBred »

My DS seems to know which boys got through on review and/or appeal so I think (at least in his school) that they talk openly about it. I don't think any of them feel they don't deserve to be there or even worry about their scores; they are just getting on with their education. As G55 says, scores over 121 don't seem to count in their minds but they do discuss scores below 121.

I was worried how other children would react to the "appeal kid" but I really don't think it matters to them; they just makes friends and get on with it.
Eccentric

Post by Eccentric »

My Dd got in on appeal after failing both the 11+ and the 12+ She openly discusses it with her class mates. There is no question of her being any less bright than the others in her class and there is definitely no discrimination from either class mates or teachers she got an overall 141 CAT score so just thinks that the 11/12+ are ridiculously stupid tests that bear no correlation to what a child can do. She says that there are a number of children in her class that did pass the 11+ that struggle in many subjects.
Interestingly she chose to write an "essay on why all education should be free and all schools should be comprehensive" last term. Don't worry! :D
kittymum

Post by kittymum »

Some Bucks children do ask each other scores - my ds was asked by a couple of people when he started year 7 - it seems the alpha males seem to do the asking. That said no one gives two hoots about each other's scores. Similarly they all know who got in n appeal - and the appeal children discuss it quite openly. No one judges each other (one of my ds's friends who won an appeal is one of the cleverest in the year).

Children talk about everything imho - scores / appeals are just one of many!
salsa

Post by salsa »

In Kent there are a lot of over subscription appeals, so the word doesn't have much meaning. Children do talk about scores initially, but they soon move on. Don't worry, what matters is what they do afterwards.
onebigdilemma

Post by onebigdilemma »

Slightly different but my son got in off the waiting list. Children did ask scores when they first started but he wasn't teased etc for having one of the lowest scores, his problem was his own perception of his ability. He felt everyone was cleverer than him and it is not really until now, when they have done end of year 7 tests and he has done brilliantly that he accepts he is as good if not better than the other children.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now