Appeals advice please

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Mummy123

Appeals advice please

Post by Mummy123 »

Hello, I am new on this forum and was wondering if I could get some advice.

In September when the test was taken, my daughter came out quite upset, In English at some point, she got out of sync, she was marking the answers on the Non- Verbal spaces. As she was unaware of this at the time this continued with quite a few. When she realised what she had done, she started rubbing out the Non- Verbal answers instead of the English answers in the wrong place. She put her hand up to tell the invigilator. He was very helpful to her and told her they would sort it at the end, by looking at the markings left from the rubbings out. At this point the English section had now ended and another part had started.

She found the English Section very easy but due to the mix up she lost time on this section and was unable to answer the last 3-5 questions. She strongly feels she would have been able to finish them, had this mix up not happened. The loss of time whilst realising what she had done together with the confusion, took time away from her being able to complete this section. The issue in the English section distracted her a lot and she felt it affected the rest of the exam as she couldn't stop thinking about it.

We got my daughters results on Friday from Birmingham Grammar schools. She scored 201. We were hoping for CHG, but would be happy with any of the others also. She is a bright girl and always getting high marks and doing well in school and I'm sure her school would support that. She is House Captain at the moment.

I have written to the admissions office prior to results coming out, so they have the situation on record.

Sorry for long story. Any advice will be appreciated. Do you think I have an Appeals case? If i do should it try for CHG and put it as my first choice on forms.

Thank you in advance
mad?

Re: Appeals advice please

Post by mad? »

Welcome Mummy123 and sorry to hear your news. Have you looked through this?

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 35&t=35032" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It should give you some ideas. Good luck.
mad?
Mummy123

Post by Mummy123 »

Thank you. Will read through the information.
Has anyone else been through the same problem?
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Hi Mummy123

I am sorry to hear what happened with the exam, the only thing you can do is to fill in the CAF for the schools you want in the order you want with grammar schools first and include non selective schools that you would be happy with.
In March she will probably not be allocated a grammar school. You can then start and appeal process which would require evidence of ability (most important), reasons why the score did not reflect that ability and any extenuating circumstances.
I would say however that the chance of success in Birmingham appeals is very low with very few successes each year.
Mummy123

Post by Mummy123 »

Thank you Hermanmunster....much appreciated. I have noticed Appeals success rate in Birmingham is low which is quite daunting.
Mummy123

Post by Mummy123 »

Hello again, as I have mentioned my daughter got 201. The only grammar we can put down on CAF is Sutton Coldfield. I know it is highly unlikely but we are expecting to go on waiting list.

We are still planning to appeal on all the other grammars, but I am aware I can do this even if we put them at the end of the CAF form.

My question is should we put comprehensive first or Sutton Coldfield grammar. We are just worried we may end up losing first choice comp aswel as grammars :?

At the mo we are thinking:

1.Sutton Coldfield ( so we end up on waiting-very unlikely to get place)
2.Comprehensive (so we get in if appeals don't work)( we live less than 2 miles from this school)
3.Camp hill girls (so we can appeal
4. Handsworth girls ( so we can appeal)
5. Blank or another comp( don't know which one)

Should we put comp first or Sutton Coldfield grammar?

Thanks in advance
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Birmingahm offers an EQUAL PREFERENCE SYSTEM.

List the schools in your true order of preference....this is likely to be all the Grammar Schools and then a catchment comprehensive school last. Birmingham will offer you teh highest school listed on your Caf for which you meet the criteria. Ie if you don't meet the criteria for Sutton Coldfield, you will be put on the waiting list and they will look at your second choice as if it was your first. If this is another GS you don't meet criteria for, they will put you on the waiting list and move to your third choice as if it was your first.

You MUST have a comprehensive school listed that you are certain to get a place at (ie catchment and not over subscribed) as otherwise you will simply be allocated one, if you have not met the criteria for any of the other schools listed on your CAF.
Mummy123

Post by Mummy123 »

Thank you kenyancowgirl,

So can I put,

Sutton grammar
Camp hill
Hansworth
Local comp

And still get a place at local comp.

My first choice grammar is camp hill the only reason I'm putting it second is because We have no chance there and I know we will appeal. With sutton at least I have the entry number
Mummy123

Post by Mummy123 »

Sorry gave wrong info about comp. it is 0.4 miles from home. 10 minute walk :D
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

If Camp Hill is your first choice then put it first!!!! Then put Sutton second...You will get rejected by Camp Hill and put on the waiting list and then they will look and see if you meet the criteria for Sutton...if you do, great you get offered a place there and are still on the wait list for CH. It is daft to put Camphill second for the reason you have stated.

If you put Sutton first and CH second, IF you got offered a place at Sutton, your application ends there. You will NOT be put on the wait list for CH as the Admissions people believe that the order you have listed the schools is your tru favoured order and that they have "met" a higher offer than CH. You effectively lose CH as a possible option (even if it is a really really long shot.) That is why I said LIST IN YOUR TRUE ORDER OF PREFERENCE. Admissions will offer you the highest school you have listed for which you meet the criteria.

If you do not meet the criteria for your 1st, and 2nd choice they will look at your 3rd choice (in this case Handsworth) as if it was your first. If you do not meet the criteria for Handsworth (you will go on the waiting list for this school and those at position 1 and 2) they will look at your 4th choice the local comp. If you meet the criteria for this school (ie are in catchment and it is not oversubscribed for example) then you should be offered that.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now