Selection Review Bucks 2017 entry

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Winding Road

Selection Review Bucks 2017 entry

Post by Winding Road »

Hi,

I have referred to this forum lots but have never posted a topic.

We received the selection review for my son this morning and unfortunately it was a no. Not an easy letter to read!

He scored 114 in the test having been expected by his school to pass easily.

He was given a 2 and a 1 by his Head Teacher and recommended for grammar school without reservation.

For the last 2 years of school he was working in a group a year ahead of his actual year group.

The only comments on the selection review form is: 'evidence to support Head Teacher predictions is inconclusive' followed by a 'No, this pupil would not be appropriately placed in a grammar school'.

He is much stronger in maths the VR which let him down in the test, but his academic record shows that he is working at GDS for maths and reading and EXS for writing.

My question is, whether it would be worth going through an appeal to the school of our choice (in Chiltern District). My older son attends the school and is thriving there.

Many thanks for you time.
Guest55

Re: Selection Review Bucks 2017 entry

Post by Guest55 »

Sorry to hear that :(

The selection review is a paper exercise to a few Heads and an Appeal is presented in person to an IAP - very dfferent.

Read through the sticky on 'Appealing for a Bucks GS place' - it isn't updated yet as you can't appeal until after the March school allocation.

If you can bear the work involved then why not go for it?

Have you got a good Upper back-up? It depend where you are in the Chilterns ...
Winding Road

Post by Winding Road »

Thanks for your reply Guest55

I wondered really if it was worth appealing as most likely after March the places will all be filled. DCGS is the school.

Is having a sibling at the school and being a short walking distance from going to help in an appeal or would it exclusively be upon academic evidence. I didn't provide enough for the selection review it seems. Tutor, Headteacher and parents all think he would be ideally placed for grammar school.

I think I could face the work if there was a chance!

Many thanks
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Yes, the school will be full but was that the only GS you put down?

You can appeal anyway but this school runs its own appeals I think and few are successful ... [perhaps a mod will confirm that?]

Read the thread I suggested and ponder ... the Head might have stronger academic evidence as time goes on?

I would 'sell' the alternative to your son amd regard the appeal as a bonus if you are successful.
Winding Road

Post by Winding Road »

Thank you so much for your reply Guest 55.

Also put down RGS and CGS.

Son is pretty chilled and resilient and accepts the plan B.

I will read the thread you suggested and as you said, perhaps we could get more evidence over the next couple of months. He comes top of his class in maths and does really well with literacy. Plus very musical.....but music and maths seem of little importance in this regard.

Just something went wrong on that 1.5 hours on that one day!

So grateful for your advice this Saturday evening. Many thanks!
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

You can appeal anyway but this school runs its own appeals I think and few are successful ... [perhaps a mod will confirm that?]
Yes, unlike most of the grammar schools in Bucks, DCGS have been organising their own appeals in recent years.
I think there used to be a comment on their website that on average only one appeal per year succeeded. Not sure if that has changed very much. Probably not.

As Guest55 suggests, do look carefully at:
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum ... 12&t=41358" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne
Winding Road

Post by Winding Road »

Thank you so much Etienne and Guest55, I shall read the thread you linked to.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now