Appeal for Kent grammars

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

ronabi

Appeal for Kent grammars

Post by ronabi »

Hi everyone,

I am new on this forum and gone through some of the appeal information on here. I however want to clarify some things.

DD got 340 in Kent exams. 10 years 2 months at time of exam
Maths 105 ( missed the cutoff of 106 by 1 mark)
English 124
Reasoning 111

No HT review was done as HT says she did not have enough evidence to appeal. However DD was working at 5s in reading, writing and Maths as at last assessment and was star girl of class and got award for outstanding attainment in Maths. HT says can support appeal if we decide to go through with one, not sure how strongly worded letter will be given no HT appeal with just 1 mark below.

Looking at Dartford or Wilmington. What are the likely chances of successful appeal and apart from last assessment results, what other evidence can we produce? Not sure they do reasoning tests in school. We are out of county.

Thanks
Etienne

Re: Appeal for Kent grammars

Post by Etienne »

Welcome to Appeals! :)
ronabi wrote:Looking at Dartford or Wilmington. What are the likely chances of successful appeal and apart from last assessment results
Perhaps some of our Kent members will know?
Otherwise, please see:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeals/general#a39" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
what other evidence can we produce? Not sure they do reasoning tests in school.

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 35&t=35032" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Once you've finished reading, if you still have unanswered questions, do please let us know.
Etienne
ronabi

Post by ronabi »

Thanks Etienne for your reply. I did go through the FAQs and they shed some light.

I would however want to ask everyone which school stands a better chance at appeal - DGSG or Wilmington girls for out of area candidate with a score of 340 . DD would like to go to either one but I want to be realistic with my chances of success at appeal.
Mehere

Post by Mehere »

If you have room to put both schools on your CAF (knowing you won't get a place in either) with your other choices (including a local/guaranteed school), then why not appeal to both.

If you have to prepare the paperwork and gather academic evidence for one school it doesn't take much more work to do it for two. You would need a few tweaks to make each appeal specific for each school. Appeals are quite stressful and if you haven't done one before you might feel more confident about the process when you go into the second appeal.

Previously we were in a similar situation where DC missed the Kent cutoff by 1 point in just one subject and we appealed (to Wilmington and we are OOC too). Don't forget that it is one appeal to each school but you will be appealing for non-qualification and oversubscription and you have to succeed in both parts to get a place.

We were successful in that DC was deemed suitable for grammar and was added to the waiting list but we were not successful in the oversubscription part of the appeal. We stayed on the waiting list but never got to the top so weren't offered a place (Y7 waiting lists in Kent are until the end of the year Dec/early Jan). I'm still glad we appealed as we felt the 'blip' on the day was acknowledged and lack of spaces is beyond our control.

Best of luck in whatever you decide.
ronabi

Post by ronabi »

Thanks for the response Mehere. In the end, I have put only Dartford girls for Kent area and Southend girls as we might have a chance there as well. The others we put down are local comprehensives we can live with. Will also look at some independent schools. Fingers crossed, we'll see the outcome in March.
pinkrabbit38

Post by pinkrabbit38 »

ronabi wrote:Thanks for the response Mehere. In the end, I have put only Dartford girls for Kent area and Southend girls as we might have a chance there as well. The others we put down are local comprehensives we can live with. Will also look at some independent schools. Fingers crossed, we'll see the outcome in March.
Surely you're not going to expect your daughter to travel from Kent to Southend every day?
doodles

Post by doodles »

Do Southend operate a residency requirement? If so perhaps OP is an Essex resident and her dd sat the relevant Essex test too.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
pinkrabbit38

Post by pinkrabbit38 »

doodles wrote:Do Southend operate a residency requirement? If so perhaps OP is an Essex resident and her dd sat the relevant Essex test too.

If that's the case then why is she expecting her DD to travel from Essex to Dartford everyday??

Southend have an in catchment and out of catchment policy.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

pinkrabbit38 wrote:
ronabi wrote:Thanks for the response Mehere. In the end, I have put only Dartford girls for Kent area and Southend girls as we might have a chance there as well. The others we put down are local comprehensives we can live with. Will also look at some independent schools. Fingers crossed, we'll see the outcome in March.
Surely you're not going to expect your daughter to travel from Kent to Southend every day?

SHSG is a great local school - we live 3 stops / 7 minutes on the train and a total of 20 minutes ' walk, if that, away - and also very accessible from anywhere on the c2c network (train and bus for those travelling from Southend Victoria line stations). I can't for the life of me think why anyone would want to involve the Dartford Crossing in their child's journey to school, though, in either direction.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
ronabi

Post by ronabi »

Thanks for the various responses, we live in South Ockendon so journey time to both schools are almost same. Also have friends whose kids go to Dartford and have one of the parents picking and dropping hence the Dartford option.

We are out of catchment for all grammar schools around us. 306 was DD's Essex scores, good if within Southend catchment. Outside of catchment, yet to be determined but cutoff in 2015 was 303, 2016 was 316, 2017 unknown for now.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now