Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Hopefull27

Re: Selection Review - WISC 1V - how to present

Post by Hopefull27 »

Thanks Etienne

I really appreciate your feedback :D

I agree re wording in EP report! It does say 'given the spread of DD's scores, DDs FSIQ needs cautious interpretation, as it does not reliably estimate her overall intellectual ability" I know she means that it is likely to be higher BUT she hasn't put that in the report. I will ask her to reword this accordingly.

Thanks and I'll keep you posted!
Hopefull27

Post by Hopefull27 »

Hello everyone,

We had good news on Saturday, our Selection Review was successful...

I wanted to post for the benefit of anyone looking at this in the future. This forum was so helpful and really helped us focus on what is and isn't important when putting together an appeal.

I decided not to include the EP report in the end. My thinking was as her score was 118 and her HT summary sheet was very strong, I didn't want to blur the impact of this with ANY negatives whatsoever. This was a hard decision as her FSIQ was good 94th percentile. I just didn't feel it added anything but could possibly give a reason to say no.

DD is very happy...

Thank you so so much for your support!
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

That's great news - well done :)

However it might be worth considering how the 'low' score part of the Ed Psych report can be used to support her in the classroom.
Hopefull27

Post by Hopefull27 »

Yes... I agree...

Thanks again!!
FinalHurdle

Post by FinalHurdle »

Many congratulations to you all! We had good news at this stage a couple of years ago with our DS so I remember that lovely feeling of opening the envelope :-)

Unfortunately we weren't so lucky with our DD this weekend.

The panel said they were satisfied with her sats predictions but said her 'CATS scores were stronger than her test result but do not suggest this child would have qualified'.

Her cats for year 6 were - 120, 120, 124

I appreciate that your DD's score was very close to 121 and your extenuating circumstances were stronger than ours but I wondered if you'd mind sharing your DD's cats scores with me? Your original post implied that they may have been similar to my DD's.

Using Etienne's advice, our FCO argument will take the form of questioning what cats scores they deemed satisfactory bearing in mind DD's scores put her in the 7th percentile. It would be helpful (and motivating!) to know that someone with similar cats was successful.

Well done once again!
Hopefull27

Post by Hopefull27 »

So sorry to hear that...

I've looked back at our appeal papers and the HT has only specified an NVR CAT score of 131. DD is at a private school and they do not routinely assess using CATS. He goes on to list all other academic achievements, high test scores, reading age of 16+, top set etc

I think this together with a HT rec of 1:1 was sufficient proof academically. Together with letters from GP, Consultants etc regarding her medical issues.....

I know nothing about the 'new appeal' system as the appeal for my DS was 10 years ago and very different.

I wish you all the best and if I can help further....
FinalHurdle

Post by FinalHurdle »

Many thanks for your quick reply. 131 is a very, very high cat score so would have been great evidence for the panel along with everything else.

I'm starting to think that whilst my DD's cats seem high, there may have been many children who scored much higher. This is all helpful in helping me accept the decision a little bit more and helping me decide whether we should just accept it and leave things here.

Thanks again for helping me formulate my thoughts.
Hopefull27

Post by Hopefull27 »

I see your point but my DD's NVR in the actual test was so much lower....

NVR has always been her strong point but this did not go her way on the day! I think you have to go with your gut instinct on this. I also had a DD who scored 118 circa 7 years ago and we didn't appeal as in my heart I knew GS was not right for her.

It's a tough decision.... Sometimes if you feel it's right, persevere!
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Hopefull27 wrote:Hello everyone,

We had good news on Saturday, our Selection Review was successful...

I wanted to post for the benefit of anyone looking at this in the future. This forum was so helpful and really helped us focus on what is and isn't important when putting together an appeal.

I decided not to include the EP report in the end. My thinking was as her score was 118 and her HT summary sheet was very strong, I didn't want to blur the impact of this with ANY negatives whatsoever. This was a hard decision as her FSIQ was good 94th percentile. I just didn't feel it added anything but could possibly give a reason to say no.

DD is very happy...

Thank you so so much for your support!
Many congratulations!

Difficult decision whether or not to use the EP report.
You need nerves of steel to survive this process!
So glad it worked out well for you. :D
Etienne
Hopefull27

Post by Hopefull27 »

Thanks again!!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now