Selection Review - WISC 1V - how to present

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Hopefull27

Selection Review - WISC 1V - how to present

Post by Hopefull27 »

Hi all,

Thank you for all the advice I have been scanning and taking in as much of it as I can!

We are submitting our case for selection review this Friday and having appealed 11 years ago for our eldest it all seems very different now. He scored 120, we won our appeal and he went on to achieve great results at GS and is now in his final year at university.

My DD scored 118 in her 11 plus and was expected to pass.

VR 132
Numerical 94
NVR 117

We has an EP report done last week scores as follows

VCI 119 90th High Average
PRI 127 96th Superior
WMI 102 55th Average
PSI 121 92nd Superior
FSIQ 123 94th Superior

We have extenuating circumstances backed up by GP as she was unwell the day before the test and is under Great Ormond Street Hospital for an ongoing condition.

The HT has given 1:1 predicted performance of 125+ in July 2017 with GDS in all areas and has written a strong support letter. DD in top set for all subjects.

My issue is how to present the irregularities in her scores... 11 plus VR of 132 Vs WISC of 119, lower WMI, NVR 11 plus of 117 Vs 127 on the WISC. The EP concluded that the FSIQ should be read with caution as I'm assuming the WMI dragged it down. She went on to conclude my DD focus, concentration during test was good.

Are these scores good enough to include?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Guest55

Re: Selection Review - WISC 1V - how to present

Post by Guest55 »

Hopefull27 wrote: The HT has given 1:1 predicted performance of 125+ in July 2017 with GDS in all areas and has written a strong support letter. DD in top set for all subjects.
I thought the max score was 120 in the KS2 tests?

I'm not sure the fact she was unwell will carry any weight as it is made clear you should not sit the test if unwell.

What does the Head suggest about the EP report?
Hopefull27

Post by Hopefull27 »

Hello

You are absolutely right and thanks for pointing this out. I've checked the summary and the HT had filled it out using a CATS prediction not a SATS. I have asked him to correct this using the correct framework.

I haven't asked the head about it. I've read somewhere that between 90 - 95th percentile is good, the higher the better but am concerned about the spread of her scores when comparing the WISC 1V and her actual 11 plus results.

Just not sure if the EP report adds or takes away from my case.

With regards illness, DD has a complex kidney condition, diagnosed aged 5 and is ongoing. She falls ill spontaneously and with quick intervention i.e. hydration and rest improves. She and we have learnt to crack on and not allow this to impact on her life day to day basis which has worked for her thus far. Although on the day she seemed to have improved my argument is that it will still have impacted her performance. Her GP and urologist are in agreement.

Thanks
diamondgirl

Post by diamondgirl »

A few years back my DD scored 110! we went for review under very similar circumstances to yours. We wrote in the parent statement part, the truth, to do with the extenuating situation, and how it can't be predicted on the day. We also included medical letters corroborating this and academic evidence very similar to yours. It wasn,t a sob story about treatments etc ,we just made it clear that we (including the school) felt that on another day she would have attained the magic number. We were successful, she is now happily settled and doing well. Feeling your pain and wishing you all the best.
Hopefull27

Post by Hopefull27 »

Good to hear! That's my intention to state the facts. DD was ill the day before and had disturbed sleep as a result... Whilst this is 'normal' for her with her condition it will have had an impact which I feel should be taken into consideration.

If anyone has specific advice re her EP WISC 1V scores and if we should include them I'd be very grateful!

It's a nightmare as you just want to do the right thing whatever that is!!
diamondgirl

Post by diamondgirl »

I've been thinking all afternoon....
You have very good support from school, with all levels etc. She scored 118, really close! So why put anything negative to the panel, many wouldn't have that information anyway. Even without the report I think she looks strong, she didn't have her best day due to medical issues that have never caused a problem with her academic ability in the past. Surely you could put to the panel that had you realised that this episode was different then you wouldn't have let her sit. Postponing to the following week would have resulted in a positive outcome, and with standardisation magic she may actually only have missed it by one or two questions.
As I said its only a thought and I'm no expert, but don't put any doubts about her suitability in their heads. Good luck
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Welcome to Appeals! :)

I'll reflect on the WISC scores, and come back to you.

Meanwhile could you find out whether your educational psychologist would calculate the GAI (General Ability Index) instead of the FSIQ? I would have thought this should be possible when WMI is distorting the overall result.

Has the educational psychologist made any suggestions how WM might be helped?
If so, you could then put a positive 'spin' on the situation - "Now that the problem has been diagnosed, the educational psychologist has been able to recommend strategies that will help in achieving even higher results in future ........."
Etienne
Hopefull27

Post by Hopefull27 »

Hello Etienne,

Thanks for your reply!

I've spoken to the EP who was reluctant to calculate a GA score. His argument was that as she is on the 94th percentile for her FSIQ, top 6% that a GA is less important as GA is normally used when the WISC 1V scores cannot give a FSIQ due to very low scores in the subtests somewhere.

He suggested presenting her score of FSIC 123 in the 94th percentile as needing careful interpretation as her true abilities are likely to be much higher. The WMI has pulled this down, but although the WM score is lower when comparing it to her other scores it is still in the average range of scores and is not a major issue. Her digit backwards, normally harder was better than digit forwards showing she displays higher executive functioning and WM can be improved. He said to present this as not impacting her in the classroom as she had scored highly in Mathematics assessments and is in top set for Maths and English etc etc....

He said top 6% was well within the range for grammar school, is that correct?

Thanks
Hopefull27

Post by Hopefull27 »

Hi Etienne

I've asked again for the GAI as I could just add it in when talking about her WM score. I've done my own calculation from research I've uncovered on how to calculate it and its her VCI and PRI scores added together which are 83. On a table, 83 gives a GAI of 127 in the 96th percentile. I will of course have this verified by the EP. The table link is below should you wish to look at it...

http://appliedgifteded.ihostnetworks.co ... fteded.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Hopefull27 wrote:I've asked again for the GAI as I could just add it in when talking about her WM score. I've done my own calculation from research I've uncovered on how to calculate it and its her VCI and PRI scores added together which are 83. On a table, 83 gives a GAI of 127 in the 96th percentile. I will of course have this verified by the EP. The table link is below should you wish to look at it...

http://appliedgifteded.ihostnetworks.co ... fteded.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thanks, I could have calculated the GAI - but it would be so much better in a statement from the EP! :)

As a last resort you could submit your calculation - but I doubt that any panel will be enthusiastic about ploughing through your own explanatory paragraph, and looking up a weblink, when they would rather hear direct from the professional concerned.
He suggested presenting her score of FSIC 123 in the 94th percentile as needing careful interpretation as her true abilities are likely to be much higher.
Your opening post said "The EP concluded that the FSIQ should be read with caution". Do you have it in writing that "..... her true abilities are likely to be much higher"? We don't want "should be read with caution" to be misinterpreted. The review panel may have only a limited understanding of WISC (although there ought to be an educational psychologist in attendance to advise them).
He said top 6% was well within the range for grammar school, is that correct?
I think so - but to try and overcome any possible prejudices (e.g. "Well, it's a different sort of test, carried out under different conditions, mostly untimed .....") ideally I would like to see scores of 125+ for VCI, PRI, and FSIQ/GAI.
Someone on the forum once wrote:
    • “It’s like seeking to adopt a child – you have more to prove than an ‘ordinary’ parent would!”
I'll reflect on the WISC scores, and come back to you.
I'm afraid only your particular panel can tell you what they think - but, for what it's worth, my guess is that their decision on the academic case will be based mainly on what is in the headteacher's review summary sheet, and they are likely to interpret the WISC scores to justify whatever decision they want.
If they want to reject the academic case, they can argue "The WISC scores are inconsistent."
If they want to accept the academic case, they can point to some very high percentiles in the WISC test.

I doubt that you have anything to lose by submitting the EP report - it's just that I don't think it will be the determining factor in this case.

Although I don't feel strongly enough to suggest you go one way rather than the other, if the EP would clarify in writing the FSIQ/GAI issue, I would be more inclined to submit the report.

Just my view!
Etienne