Can I challenge the lack of a HTA?

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

smithymum

Re: Can I challenge the lack of a HTA?

Post by smithymum »

kenyancowgirl wrote:I'm not from your area so no offence caused to me but I think you need to be very careful with your accusations...sweeping generalisations there as I am sure that there are some very conscientious heads in your area. If you genuinely believe your head is accepting bribes, which seems to be what you have implied, then take it up with the school governors, but it is not something for the appeal panel, I wouldn't have thought, that needs to focus on your child's academic ability and any reasons you can give for why they did not succeed on the day.
No mention of bribes and no accusations, Sorry to put it so bluntly but so it is clear what I am implying before I get accused here: Parents sucking up to the head! I am quite surprised that you are so naive about this and you don't know this sort of thing goes on. Unless you are one of those parents of course! Everyone I speak with agrees it goes on....I mean this sort of thing even happens in jobs as you grow older.... I just speak from what I have witnessed since my first day in primary many many years ago. Also speaking to many parents who feel exactly the same way. I know for sure of people who have had a HTA based on who they are! They are not sweeping generalisations. Maybe I should have made more ham and cheese sandwiches in those PTA meetings.. :wink: Thank you for your input, I did not come on here to create an argument, just wanted some advice. I will just have to prove my child's academic abilities like I have done last time round...
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

To quote anotherdad: the plural of anecdote is not data! I am not naive as I said, I am not from your area and our area does not do HTAs.

There is a school of thought that is grateful to parents who help out on PTAs etc right from reception/y1/ y2....way before their children sit the 11+...and certainly way before they find out their child did not pass the 11+. Maybe, in reception y1/y2 they genuinely just want to help in the school? The point being the same event can be seen in many different ways, depending on the focus of the observer.

As you say, your best bet is to try and prove academic ability and hope the appeal process works in your favour. I have nothing more to contribute so wish you well in your endeavours and will shuffle off.
smithymum

Post by smithymum »

kenyancowgirl wrote:To quote anotherdad: the plural of anecdote is not data! I am not naive as I said, I am not from your area and our area does not do HTAs.

There is a school of thought that is grateful to parents who help out on PTAs etc right from reception/y1/ y2....way before their children sit the 11+...and certainly way before they find out their child did not pass the 11+. Maybe, in reception y1/y2 they genuinely just want to help in the school? The point being the same event can be seen in many different ways, depending on the focus of the observer.

As you say, your best bet is to try and prove academic ability and hope the appeal process works in your favour. I have nothing more to contribute so wish you well in your endeavours and will shuffle off.
Thank you. The PTA comment is just one example, where I draw the line is having the head round your house for dinner on more than one occasion. :shock: I could name many more but won't bore you on here.... :wink:
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

I think you need to put all this anger & the feelings of injustice behind you & focus on the facts of your daughter's academic achievements. Whatever the rights & wrongs of yours & other people's circumstances, what the panel will be interested in is whether your daughter would thrive at a GS.
scary mum
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

I think the advice given by everyone above is correct.

Appeal panels in Kent are already likely to be well acquainted with the flaws and inconsistencies in the headteachers' assessment.

For parents who
    • (a) have had an HTA and disagree with the decision, or
    • (b) haven't been referred for an HTA but believe they should have been,
the appeal is an opportunity for an independent panel to take a completely fresh look at their case.

It isn't the role of an appeal panel to look into/investigate the 'system' as such.

Focus on the individual child.
From the Q&As: "it’s not a good idea to challenge the system at appeal ........ However, at an appeal you have the opportunity to come up with alternative academic evidence to try and prove that the result was not a true reflection of your child’s ability."
Etienne
smithymum

Post by smithymum »

Etienne wrote:I think the advice given by everyone above is correct.

Appeal panels in Kent are already likely to be well acquainted with the flaws and inconsistencies in the headteachers' assessment.

For parents who
    • (a) have had an HTA and disagree with the decision, or
    • (b) haven't been referred for an HTA but believe they should have been,
the appeal is an opportunity for an independent panel to take a completely fresh look at their case.

It isn't the role of an appeal panel to look into/investigate the 'system' as such.

Focus on the individual child.
From the Q&As: "it’s not a good idea to challenge the system at appeal ........ However, at an appeal you have the opportunity to come up with alternative academic evidence to try and prove that the result was not a true reflection of your child’s ability."
Thank you for your advice, I will just have to ensure he keeps up the good work in year 6 and hope the teacher will write a good letter for me for the appeal. Thank you again.
monochromecat

Post by monochromecat »

We were in a similar situation last year. We expressed our surprise and disappointment and highlighted a possible reason (complete change of staff, no one knew her) in probably as many words as I said here. We then moved on to their unreserved support for our appeal. I would say though that being below aggregate as well as missing on a paper it is worth being realistic about the chances.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now