Selection Review , prove it wasn't FCO

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
bucksdad8623

Re: Selection Review , prove it wasn't FCO

Post by bucksdad8623 »

Hi Etienne,
Our DD's school applied for breaks which was also refused, one trait of dyslexia is a difficulty focusing.
She was given no extra time for the maths despite 2 sources telling me lots of questions were word based, she did badly in the numerical reasoning paper and didn't finish.
For the verbal reasoning she was given 10% extra and had to rush to finish, she did better than the maths but still failed.
In the non verbal reasoning, her dyslexia wasn't a hindrance, she passed without needing extra time.
Honestly speaking, how do you think the panel will view our claim that insufficient reasonable adjustments were not made?
Thank you.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Bucks CC routinely give 10% when 25% is recommended ...
bucksdad8623

Post by bucksdad8623 »

Given that, do you think the panel will take the view that 10% is sufficient?
Our DD wasn't given any extra time for maths, is it routine for no extra time to be give for numerical reasoning, and will the panel consider that reasonable?
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

My DS did the old test so I don't know what is 'normal' re the separate segments; perhaps others do?

I can't see the logic in only some parts getting extra time.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

bucksdad8623 wrote:Our DD's school applied for breaks which was also refused, one trait of dyslexia is a difficulty focusing.
She was given no extra time for the maths despite 2 sources telling me lots of questions were word based, she did badly in the numerical reasoning paper and didn't finish.
For the verbal reasoning she was given 10% extra and had to rush to finish, she did better than the maths but still failed.
In the non verbal reasoning, her dyslexia wasn't a hindrance, she passed without needing extra time.
That, plus the EP report, is the basis of your argument. :)

You could also enquire how the SAP arrived at a figure of 10%.

If the answer is "I don't know," you could say:
"I would respectfully ask this panel to take into account that no explanation has been offered."

If the answer is "I don't know, but the SAP included an educational psychologist," you could say:
"But that doesn't explain how the panel arrived at its decision."

If the answer is "Educational Psychologists' reports always seem to ask for 25%," you could say:
"But that doesn't provide any justification for the panel's decision in this particular case."
Honestly speaking, how do you think the panel will view our claim that insufficient reasonable adjustments were not made?
Impossible to say. You do have a case - but different panels could come up with different decisions, I'm afraid.
Etienne
bucksdad8623

Post by bucksdad8623 »

Thanks Etienne, Guest55.
Let's hope on the day we don't get too flustered and not ask the probing questions.
mad?

Post by mad? »

I'm afraid I have no expertise to offer you bucksdad8623 but reading through your posts I wish you heartfelt good luck and best wishes.
mad?
bucksdad8623

Post by bucksdad8623 »

Thanks for your support mad?, I appreciate your comments.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Write down what you want to say; don't rely on remembering.
bucksdad8623

Post by bucksdad8623 »

Thanks for the tip, we'll write the statement and questions in advance.
Not being one to like conflict, it's easy before hand to not take any nonsense from the LA rep, when you're there for real it's different.
I also don't want to make the wrong impression to the panel if I go in all guns blazing.