Appeal help please! 2 marks off. Poole grammar.

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Etienne

Re: Appeal help please! 2 marks off. Poole grammar.

Post by Etienne »

monson wrote:His class teacher is happy to write a letter but has written me a note asking wether there is just a standardised letter or what needs to be included?
What should I ask the class teacher to include that is going to help my case? What kind of thing shall she write? Other than current levels what else will greatly help?
See the Q&As!
B48, B41.
Does the teacher write about the circumstances or just purely about the acedemic side of things?
In addition to mentioning "well-above average academic ability", it would be very helpful if she could confirm that your son was affected by the circumstances, and not at his best in the lead up to the 11+.

Hope this helps.
Etienne
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

I think it might be worth asking your health visitor for a letter as they may have had more knowledge of what was going on at home at the time and how it affected the family than your GP.

If your prolonged time in the hospital was very close to the time of the exam then it may be worth getting a photocopy of your discharge summary (should be on in baby's red book maybe??), but just include the bit with the dates of admission and discharge on it - no need for them to see all the rest.
monson

Post by monson »

Thankyou both for your replies. I think I am going to write a little list for the class teacher of points that need to be mentioned that will help the case.
I am seeing the health visitor in 2 days so will be asking her to write a letter, as your right she is much more aware of what has gone on at home.
I was realised from hospital 2 weeks before the exam so was in hospital in the month leading upto exam, then home as a single parent, with a premature jaundice baby, which was tough!

Today I have received secondary school offer, 1st place grammar refused, 2nd place local school Poole high has offered my son a place in Expressley Academic Class, there was an exam sat for this, similar to grammar exam and only 32 places offered, my son being one, would this help my case to show his above average academic level and that he is capable of higher levels, or is it worse to mention another local school?
I have been told by admissions to accept the place and it won't give me any disadvantage with appeal.

Thank you again for any replies. This forum is really helping x
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

I have been told by admissions to accept the place and it won't give me any disadvantage with appeal.
That is correct. You should accept the place, as they will not be obliged to offer you another. It will not affect your appeal in anyway.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Good advice from Guest55, Herman and Tinkers.
....... there was an exam sat for this, similar to grammar exam and only 32 places offered, my son being one, would this help my case to show his above average academic level and that he is capable of higher levels, or is it worse to mention another local school?
I wouldn't put this in your written case. It might be worth a brief mention at the hearing, but it could possibly weaken your case against oversubscription.

Let's wait and see what sort of academic case you're able to put together, and then we can decide whether to mention it.
a little list for the class teacher of points that need to be mentioned that will help the case.
Good idea - I'm afraid some class teachers will make the mistake of writing a character reference rather than focusing on academic potential.
Etienne
monson

Post by monson »

Hi all. Thank you very much for all your help so far. I have my appeal meeting on Tuesday afternoon and I am nervous. There is a meeting at the grammar school for all appeal parents on Monday morning which I believe is to give a basic introduction and explain why the school shouldn't give places. Poole grammar has 180 spaces which 180 have been offered. I know that in secondary school they can make extra spaces. How do I prepare for my hearing on Tuesday? How do I argue that my son should have a space even if they are full? I suffer anxiety and I'm starting to panic that I will say the wrong things. I have already written out currcomstances on the appeal forms I handed in a few weeks ago.
Many thanks again
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

At stage one (Monday) you can ask questions about the school case if you want to - but you don't have to! You can just go along and listen.
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appea ... -school#c1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
How do I argue that my son should have a space even if they are full?
At stage two (your own individual hearing on Tuesday), in addition to your academic case and any extenuating circumstances, you need to explain why you want a place at this particular school.
Only you can say what your reasons are, but we summarise some typical reasons here:
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appea ... -school#c2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne
monson

Post by monson »

Thank you Etienne and all others who helped on my post. I had my interview with the panel yesterday. It was very brief. Around 20 minutes long. I took so much information with me and nothing was looked at other than my sons scaled scores. The head teacher asked me about my sons reading which I was able to produce his last 3 scaled scores, 2 being 120 and one being 118. The summary from the head teacher surprised me as he said he has no doubt my son is of grammar school levels, he is obviously very intelligent and would be a great pupil for the grammar school, he would not struggle to cope in the slightest, it's just unfortunate he can not offer him a place due to the school being full. I don't know wether that's a standard thing to say about a child but I was surprised he basically agreed that he should have a place but sorry they are full. So now I wait in hope for the panels decision. They will not be phoning parents this year, only letters, which will be posted by Friday. There are 16 children appealing. It's going to be a long couple of days, fingers crossed. X
monson

Post by monson »

I also found out that last year the panel let 3 children in on appeal. So it's only a small chance out of 16 if they do the same and let 2,3 or 4 in on appeal.
monson

Post by monson »

Today I recieved an email with decision letter attached, the letter has also been posted first class. I am over the moon for my son, our appeal has been granted and he has a place at Poole grammar. It's been a tough few months and I'm so happy the panel believe in my sons capability. I can not thank this forum enough for all the comments and reading that I have been able to do from here. I wish everyone success in their appeals and thank you again Etienne x
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now