Bucks 11+ Selection Review

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Etienne

Re: Bucks 11+ Selection Review

Post by Etienne »

FinalHurdle wrote:During our hearing, I'm guessing you have to assume that the panel will have read all of the supporting documents ahead of the meeting so I don't want to waste their time by reading them out
..... but I'm wondering if it will be wise to refer to the important parts of the documents in order to remind them/highlight them.
For example, when talking about the academic evidence, do you think it would be appropriate to say 'as can be seen in the head teacher reference letter in appendix A, DD's mock SATS results were.....'
Yes, good idea.
    • I would keep the presentation fairly brief, and suggest its purpose is just to remind the panel what your case is basically about and to highlight the main points in the evidence.
      https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appea ... cation#b40" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne
FinalHurdle

Post by FinalHurdle »

Oh goodness, my post is into page 6!! Thank you for all the support and answers that have given me enough useful information to fill so many pages!

I have finally written our speach for our individual hearing and it covers the following:

FCO
ACADEMIC ABILITY
EXTENUATING CIRCUMSTANCES (the chair at stage 1 described this as 'what went wrong'
WHY THIS PARTICULAR SCHOOL

The whole thing takes 18 minutes to read!!

3 minutes - FCO
10 minutes - academic
3 minutes - what went wrong
2 minutes - why this school

Is it too long?

Many thanks in advance for any opinions
Last edited by FinalHurdle on Sat May 06, 2017 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

The whole thing takes 18 minutes to read!!
Why does it need to be so long? :)

As far as academic evidence is concerned, presumably the panel already have it in writing?
It shouldn't take more than a minute or two to draw their attention to the key points.

Extenuating circumstances need only be mentioned briefly (or you will sound as if you're giving a very long list of excuses). If the panel are interested in more detail, they will ask questions.
Ideally, of course, the panel will already have seen the supporting evidence for any extenuating circumstances.
Etienne
Papercat

Post by Papercat »

I wanted to ask the same thing!
There is a lot to cover referring to the evidence and expanding on the initial appeal letter.
What time frame would be acceptable for the speech?
Hopefully, Etienne can shed some light for us.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeals/general#a9" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne
FinalHurdle

Post by FinalHurdle »

My husband hasn't read it yet and I know he'll be brutal and cut lots of waffle out (or I'll just have to talk faster :lol: )

Thanks as always Etienne.
FinalHurdle

Post by FinalHurdle »

Version 28 (slight exaggeration but not much :lol: ) is now the final one and I've got it down to 9 minutes covering all 4 areas.

Thank you for the reality kick Etienne.

I'll update here once we have the result which should be by the end of the month.

Good luck to everyone over the next few weeks.
FinalHurdle

Post by FinalHurdle »

We had our hearing this week and I think it went well so I feel that we have done as much as we can fit our DD and what will be will be now.

We were only in there for 30 minutes but it felt much longer. They didn't ask many questions which was a bit worrying but I tried to cover off any potential questions in the presentation if that makes sense. One panel member said it was a good presentation as we were leaving which was nice to hear so I know we have done all that we can do.

We're expecting the result in the next week or so and I'll update then.

Good luck to anyone still with hearings to be heard or waiting for results.
FinalHurdle

Post by FinalHurdle »

At our hearing, the Clerk reiterated the date of the final appeal and reminded us that the letter would be sent out within 5 days of that but also said it 'often comes sooner'. It will be 5 days today and the post has arrived and no letter.

I wish she hadn't said the bit about it 'often coming sooner' as stupidly I thought it night have been here on Friday or Saturday and have been stalking our postman but now it is officially late :evil:

I think I'll give it one more day due to the bank holiday (I didn't include that in the 5 days) and if it doesn't arrive tomorrow is it the Appeal's team at the council who I call?

Many thanks
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

FinalHurdle wrote: ......if it doesn't arrive tomorrow is it the Appeal's team at the council who I call?
Only the Appeals Team would be able to deal with this - but it's 5 school days, so half-term won't count.

Even 5 school days can't be absolutely guaranteed, especially where big multiple appeals are concerned.
    • ...... decision letters are sent within five school days of the hearing wherever possible
      [Appeals Code]
Etienne
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now