Appeal Deadline & other questions

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Etienne

Re: Appeal help - working memory

Post by Etienne »

Defra wrote:How important is an Ed Psych Report - we can't afford one I'm afraid. We only have a very positive School Report.

Will an Ed Psych Report be expected?
Not expected, no.

But see the Q&As:
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appea ... ication#b3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne
Defra

Re: Appeal Deadline & other questions

Post by Defra »

Hi

If I am referring to previous OSA Decisions, is it ok to quote and reference decision or should I send in a copy of the whole decision. I don't want to overwhelm / bore / annoy the Panel.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Defra wrote:If I am referring to previous OSA Decisions, is it ok to quote and reference decision or should I send in a copy of the whole decision. I don't want to overwhelm / bore / annoy the Panel.
You've mentioned Ofsted, a Charity / Gov website, and now the OSA.
If you're not careful, I think there is a risk you could well overwhelm / bore / annoy the Panel.

Unless it can be shown that the admission arrangements are unlawful and that you would otherwise have been offered a place, my advice would be that the less time you spend on this, the better!
Etienne
Defra

Post by Defra »

Thanks for the advice. I will narrow it all down (one page only) and only use relevant info!

Can I ask are the Panel only allowed to determine if the Admissions Policy has been applied correctly or do they have jurisdiction to consider if the Policy conflicts with the School Admissions Code 2014?
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Defra wrote:Thanks for the advice. I will narrow it all down (one page only) and only use relevant info!

Can I ask are the Panel only allowed to determine if the Admissions Policy has been applied correctly or do they have jurisdiction to consider if the Policy conflicts with the School Admissions Code 2014?
Hi Defra,

Lots of useful reading here:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... peals-code

- particularly relevant to your last question, this bit:

3.2 The panel must consider the following matters in relation to each child that is the
subject of an appeal:
a) whether the admission arrangements (including the area’s co-ordinated
admission arrangements) complied with the mandatory requirements of the
School Admissions Code and Part 3 of the School Standards and Framework
Act 1998; and
b) whether the admission arrangements were correctly and impartially applied in
the case in question.

(Apologies for odd formatting, phone software has a mind of its own :roll: ).
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Defra wrote:....... do they have jurisdiction to consider if the Policy conflicts with the School Admissions Code 2014?
I thought we'd addressed this on 13th April?
    • If the panel considers the arrangements to be unlawful, it is required to report the matter.

This is unlikely to affect your appeal, unless it can be clearly shown you would have been given a place but for the fact that the arrangements were unlawful. (Speculation about what might have happened is not enough.)
Etienne
Defra

Post by Defra »

Thank you ToadMum for the reference - it was exactly what I was looking for and provides the statutory basis of the Panel's guidance in decision making I needed.

Etienne - I've read provisions of s.3 SAAC and I understand your advice now - it all now makes perfect sense!

Thank you both for your help. Really appreciated.
Defra

Post by Defra »

Hi all

Just a quick question - my headteacher's report provides academic evidence by way of scores under a GL Assessment Maths and English - I have no idea what these scores mean. Can anyone else advise?