How to appeal over subscription for Gloucestershire Grammar

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Etienne

Re: How to appeal over subscription for Gloucestershire Gram

Post by Etienne »

jerseycow wrote:The letter we received said " Appeal will be heard through a 'grouped appeal' process where all appellants will be asked to attend a hearing at .... all parents will have the opportunity to ask the presenting officer any questions on why they have been refused a place and why no more can be admitted." We have a date for the grouped appeal and separate dates for individual cases afterwards.
Interesting. It sounds as if the (local) procedure has changed since DC17C appealed.
Surely a 'grouped appeal' can ask the right questions to effectively diminish the school's case on behalf of all appellants?
I do think a group stage 1 is much more effective - although, as explained further above, if significant new information were to be revealed during an individual stage 1, "the clerk must ensure that the panel considers what bearing that evidence may have on all appeals". In other words, it would probably be necessary to share that information with all the other appellants, and to give them an opportunity to question it. (Not easy to arrange this without a group hearing!)
Etienne
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

I haven't had any response to my appeal papers, i.e. Hearing date etc. deadline was 27th April. Should I be worried?
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Kismet wrote:I haven't had any response to my appeal papers, i.e. Hearing date etc. deadline was 27th April. Should I be worried?
There have only been three clear working days since the 27th.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

Very true, Toadmum. I just wondered because I thought someone earlier in the thread mentioned having a response. At the end of the day DD has been allocated a good school. I was hopeful of a more convenient school for myself and the one DD particularly wanted to go to but whatever happens, DD will adapt and I will survive the longer drives. I shall wait more patiently and less neurotically ☺️
capers123

Post by capers123 »

Interesting. It sounds as if the (local) procedure has changed since DC17C appealed.
I'd heard through the grapevine that one of the Gloucestershire grammars was trying grouped appeals this year. It'll be so much easier for the panel members, as thy'll only have to hear the school case once, rather than 10, 20 or 40 times. Don't forget that the panel members then have to ask the same questions of the school each time (unless an individual set of parents happen to have got them in first).
Capers
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

Thank you Capers. Does anyone have advice on whether or not to take DD along to the appeal hearing?
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Kismet wrote:Thank you Capers. Does anyone have advice on whether or not to take DD along to the appeal hearing?
I would say Don't, personally. If you want your DD to be involved, you could always get her to write her own 'why I am making this appeal' statement and use it as a base for your written submission?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeals/general#a14" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeals/general#a15" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne
FFF1-8

Post by FFF1-8 »

Thank you Capers. Does anyone have advice on whether or not to take DD along to the appeal hearing?
Although you have a right to I would not recommend it for the following reasons:

A normally confident and articulate 11 year old at school can suddenly find it very daunting having to sit across a large table with 5 or more adults in a formal setting. Although as a panel we would have tried to make the child feel at ease you can visibly see them shrink into a shell. Thankfully in the 10 years I was an appeal panel member in Gloucestershire I can count the amount of children brought into the appeal on one hand.

The appeal may have to deal with sensitive issues if they were part of the appeal and having to ask difficult and sensitive questions to the parents with the child in the room is not ideal. The school presenting officer can ask questions of the child as well and I remember one such case where the child was challenged on their weaker subject of maths and was asked what they intended to do to about making it stronger which obviously the child was thrown by and couldn't answer.

The child can "freeze up" and as they have been brought into the meeting we can ask them questions which can end up being just yes or no answers if they are in a frightening situation and their mind has gone blank which does not help. I can remember a case where there was a very quiet child sitting in the middle of her parents and so the question was asked of her "why is it you particularly want to go to this school"? to which the answer was "I don't really".

There can also be a sense of guilt if the appeal is unsuccessful with the child maybe thinking it was their fault. I can honestly say there was a quiet groan from the panel when we learnt that a child is attending as it means the appeal has to have a slightly different stance to it.

Although a letter from the child can be a good idea if the panel do not have any evidence that it was their own words and not scripted by others it may be of little use to the panel.

To conclude; concentrate on academic evidence and why the school is right for the child not why the child is right for the school.