Evidence of class size

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
easter

Visual stress and NVR

Post by easter »

We are preparing for an appeal on the grounds that my d has visual stress. We have a letter from the hospital which states she has difficulty with visual discrimination and orientation. How do we find out who many of these types of questions there were in the 11+ test she sat? Can I ask to see the papers or is it likely that there is a summary somewhere with the skills needed for each question? I'm assuming she scored very highly on the verbal test - would this be good enough evidence for an appeal? Am I within my rights to ask to see her test script? i also wonder if she had difficulty filling in the multiple choice boxes. Any advice?
Sally-Anne

Re: Visual stress and NVR

Post by Sally-Anne »

I've moved this to the Appeals section for you.

I'm in a rush at the moment, but there will be others along shortly who can help you.

In the meantime, please take a look at the Appeals Q&A because it will answer some of your questions. https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeals" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Alex

Post by Alex »

I understand that this is Lincolnshire.

Firstly you can ask for the breakdown of the test results from the grammar school so you will be able to see what was scored on VR and NVR. It used to be possible to ask to see your child's test paper - you would need to ask the school directly about this. If you appeal you can ask for the test papers to be made available to the panel.

I think you would need to ask your child's doctor/consultant /optician about exactly what would be challenging for her in terms of completing the tests. Does she experience problems in the classroom day to day?

Remember that evidence of high ability will be essential.

A good place to start is by reading the appeals Q & A as Sally-Anne has said.
Bigbirdcw

Post by Bigbirdcw »

Hello
I successfully appealed for my daughter on the basis of visual stress. We, however did not know that she suffered from this until after she sat the entrance exam. I don't know what your situation is.

I requested a breakdown of her scores from CEM as well as a complete anonymised list of standardised scores for the whole cohort broken down in the VR, NVR and NR components.

It was clear from these that she suffered most in Verbal Reasoning - part of which was a comprehension. Her other scores, although maybe still affected by the visual stress, were of high enough standard compared to the cohort to get her a place if her VR had been to the same level.

I was able to attain an independent quantitative measure of how she was affected ie a percentage improvement in speed and accuracy when using an overlay compared to not using one. I was able to successfully argue that with an overlay she would have been very likely to have made up the 2 extra standardised points she needed to count as a pass.

This, of course, was backed up with academic evidence from the school, KS1 SATs etc as well as their assessment of her visual stress to go alongside the independent report. Just as important were the reasons why we wanted that specific school for our daughter.

hope this helps
easter

Post by easter »

Thanks all that is really useful. We did know about the visual stress and she did use her overlay but we still think, even with an overlay, she would be disadvantaged by the visual discrimination questions. But we still haven't had a reply from the school so don't know what her raw score for each test was. That makes it difficult to put together a report!
easter

Evidence of class size

Post by easter »

I'm just trying to prepare for the over-subscription part of an appeal. The school have put together a report about class size and the impact on other pupils' learning. Is it worth quoting research that shows class size does not have an impact on learning or just stick to the facts about my child? Is it worth mentioning the reduction in class size for the other school if she gets a place (i.e. the comp would have a smaller class if she ended up at the grammar school)?
Guest55

Re: Evidence of class size

Post by Guest55 »

Have they 'grown' the Sixth form? If so, they can't be really worried.

Does the data show GCSE results have decreased in larger year groups?

What does their data say [roughly]?
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

easter wrote:I'm just trying to prepare for the over-subscription part of an appeal. The school have put together a report about class size and the impact on other pupils' learning. Is it worth quoting research that shows class size does not have an impact on learning ..... ?
It's best to ask questions about the school case.
Why not ask what research they have to show that class size does have an impact on learning?

Depending on how the argument develops, you could then briefly refer them to the latest research
Is it worth mentioning the reduction in class size for the other school if she gets a place (i.e. the comp would have a smaller class if she ended up at the grammar school)?
No! :)
Etienne
MillyMollyMandy

Post by MillyMollyMandy »

Can I please just ask a question on a similar theme here - where the school are not exactly arguing that extra children would impact on learning but rather that extra pupils would mean that equipment would have to be shared between more children, e.g. a laptop would have to be shared between 3 instead of 2 children and some classrooms are too small for more than 30 children (and they have already allocated all 30 places before the appeal process). There is no evidence provided - should the panel just take these statements as fact and come to the conclusion that there is prejudice? Thank you and sorry to butt in on this post.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

MillyMollyMandy wrote:Can I please just ask a question on a similar theme here - where the school are not exactly arguing that extra children would impact on learning but rather that extra pupils would mean that equipment would have to be shared between more children, e.g. a laptop would have to be shared between 3 instead of 2 children and some classrooms are too small for more than 30 children (and they have already allocated all 30 places before the appeal process). There is no evidence provided - should the panel just take these statements as fact and come to the conclusion that there is prejudice? Thank you and sorry to butt in on this post.
I can't believe they don't have a spare laptop for when one goes wrong ...

Rooms can be timetabled that CAN take 30+. We had a student with a mobility problem and had to timetable around that.

These sound weak excuses to me.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now