Role of the clark

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Etienne

Re: Role of the clark

Post by Etienne »

For council run appeals we've been given an hour - for an appeal being run by the school it's 30 minutes.
A standard allocation of an hour to cover FCO, qualification and the parents' reasons for admission sounds very reasonable to me. (Not sure if this includes the panel's preliminary deliberations as well.) These are complex and time-consuming cases.
From what you say, the appeals run by the council seem to be very well-organised - and fortunately they manage most of the grammar school appeals in your county.

Your case is made even more complicated because, on top of everything else, the panel will need to consider arguments relating to disability and possible discrimination.
You are entitled to as much time as you reasonably need.

With regard to the school running its own appeals, I don't believe the scheduling is an attempt to reduce your chances of success.
It's more likely to be your second point (getting through all the appeals as quickly as possible to save time and money).
I suspect the school has experienced problems with appeals over-running, but the clerk really should allocate realistic time slots in the first place, even if this means reducing the number of appeals that can be heard in a day. (I assume the clerk engaged by the school also has to perform the role of administrator.)

I recall a judge once saying that, when he was hearing appeals, he always concluded by asking:
Have you had sufficient time to present your case?
Is there anything you've omitted to tell me?
Is there anything you wish to add?

It is good practice for parents to be asked at the end of their school admission appeal hearing if they've had enough time.
And it would be very unwise of a panel to end proceedings abruptly if the appellant says firmly but politely "No, I'm sorry to say that I've not been given enough time."
Etienne
dad1973

Post by dad1973 »

Hi,

Just a quick note, to say thank you all for your feedback and valuable advice. Especially the moderators, much appreciated. Thankfully our appeal was a success. :)
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Thanks for sharing the good news! :D

Many congratulations!
Etienne
PrincessLen

Post by PrincessLen »

BucksDad8623 - how did it go - did the Clerk attempt to hurry you up, or were you allowed all the time you needed? How long do you think Stage 2 lasted for you - sounds like you had more than 30 minutes' worth of evidence to put across!
bucksdad8623 wrote:Thanks for the heads up.
One of our upcoming appeals is being managed by the school, their clerk has already written to me saying that 30 minutes is enough time to present our case and if it takes longer it will delay the cases which follow. I've replied that 30 minutes isn't long enough, the cynic in me thinks they are deliberately trying to limit the amount of time we have to present our case to reduce our chance of success.
It will take as long as it takes, let's see whether the clerk attempts to hurry me.
relaxedMum77

Post by relaxedMum77 »

Today I have received an e-mail with a letter attachment with outcome of my complaint . It all seems a waste of time tbh as everything I complained about (e.g. The clerk interrupting, the clerk giving her own opinion etc) they have come back saying things like; nowhere in the clerks notes does it state she gave her own opinion.... nowhere in the clerks notes does it say she interrupted.. etc etc ! What a joke! Lol!! Of course the clerk did not put in her notes all the things she did which she should not have done!!!
So, anyone looking at complaining... you need to have evidence .. how you get this I really don't know... unless you record the appeal or something!!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now