Taking textbooks into appeal

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
MelW

Taking textbooks into appeal

Post by MelW »

I have just looked over my son's textbooks this weekend with a view to taking them into the appeal. I am worried about a few negative comments and am thinking that at what point do I make the decision that they will do more harm than good? We have already submitted the results of two NFER tests he did at school just after the 11+, an Edinburgh reading test result and the 3 level 5's. What else could I take in and would it seem strange if all I had was the A4 sheet I submitted stating our case plus another A4 sheet I intend to read out?
Etienne

Re: Taking textbooks into appeal

Post by Etienne »

It rather depends what the "negative comments" are. If they are along the lines "insufficient effort", "careless writing", but provide evidence of high achievement, I wouldn't worry.
would it seem strange if all I had was the A4 sheet I submitted stating our case plus another A4 sheet I intend to read out?
Not unusual - that's all some parents come with.

There are sometimes individual panel members who quite like to see exercise books, while there are others who are relieved to be spared!

No easy answer .......
Etienne
capers123

Re: Taking textbooks into appeal

Post by capers123 »

Etienne wrote:There are sometimes individual panel members who quite like to see exercise books, while there are others who are relieved to be spared!
I concur with that. I'm not, and never have been, a teacher, so apart from comparing the work with that of my elder daughter, there's very little I can glean from seeing piles of text books, projects and the like. However, the retired teacher on my panel can tell a lot from them (apart from constantly muttering about the spelling, handwriting and how standards appear to have dropped since her days!).

I'd take some, not too many, though. Note that if you miss taking - say - maths, we'll wonder why!
Capers