Medical/Academic evidence for use in an appeal

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
worriedofwycombe

Medical/Academic evidence for use in an appeal

Post by worriedofwycombe »

My daughter has an appeal in Bucks after achieving 117 in the test. She was ranked 1 in OoS. 3 years ago she struggled with handwriting. A test highlighted poor fine motor skills. At the same time her eyesight was tested and glasses were needed for close work. Although she did not pass the 11+, for the last 18 months she has been consistently scoring top of the class, achieved level 5 in Year 5 and is currently doing level 6 work in Maths. Is there any value in including the information about the tests and need for glasses - I feel that she was at a disadvantage and has been constantly trying to catch up with her classmates, and may not yet have completely caught up. Would be very grateful to hear everyones thoughts?
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Dear WofW

The panel is likely to accept the authority's view that the only preparation necessary for the 11+ is the official familiarisation and practice, so it begs the question: What is there to catch up on?

As far as the curriculum is concerned, your daughter appears to have had no problems for at least 18 months, and to have some good KS2 predictions.

I'm no authority on fine motor skills, but is it possible your daughter was disadvantaged by the format of the 11+? If so, I think a panel would want more recent evidence than a three year old assessment.
Etienne
worriedofwycombe

Thanks for the response. I was thinking it would be more relevant to the other academic evidence I am presenting. I was wanting to show that although she is achieving level 5, she could being doing even better had she not been disadvantaged. Do you think that presenting evidence of current consistent level 5 achievement is enough as we have extenuating circumstances as well? I want to show that she is of the right academic level, but don't want to muddy the waters with this if there will be no benefit. Many Thanks
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Dear WofW

I don't honestly think it will be a decisive point, but no reason why you shouldn't say "Despite some earlier problems with eyesight and fine motor skills, she has made excellent progress in the past 18 months ........"

You won't then be accused of over-egging the pudding.

The panel may want to ask a few questions about what the problems were. If you have any evidence of the assessments done at the time, bring it with you - but no need to show it unless they seem interested.

Good luck
Etienne
worriedofwycombe

Thank you - I think I will go route!