including latest report and sibling already there

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
dejavu

including latest report and sibling already there

Post by dejavu »

My daughter was born at the end of August. She was expected to pass but only got 112 and 118. Her verbal reasoning test in November 2006 was 123. She was ranked 2.1 and in the OoS was placed ninth. THe eight above her passed and three below (don't know where yet).

It was a very high achieving year. Three got top score and eleven passed out of 35. Last year's annual report said she was level 5 for creative writing and in the head's letter of support she said that my daughter was already working at level five for science. Her maths at the end of year 5 was 4a.

For her report at the end of Dec 2007 it said that she was just above the level for nearly every subject apart from ICT where she was above the level. The head said in her letter of support that she demonstrated the ability to attain highly and is convinced that she would thrive at a grammar school. Pleased with that, but should we include the latest December report which says that she is just above the level - although she is so young (which is not taken into account within the report)? Predicted Sats are 5.

I feel that this scenario is a recurring nightmare as two years ago my son had to go to appeal. His previous year's November score was also 123. In the 11plus he got 117 and 120, and was born in November. He won his appeal and is a straight A student.

I remember the appeal panel asking if he had any siblings already at grammar. He did not. I understand that this is one of the most commonly asked questions. Is it a filler one? If not, why do they ask it? Will it help my daughter's case if she aleady has a brother at grammar? We were much more hopeful about my son's appeal as he had a much higher score so are feeling very despondent. Appeal in in early Feb.
many thanks
dejavu
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I don't think where a sibling is at school is relevant - I have no heard many people say they were asked that. I would not mention it - unless they ask of course!

I would concentrate on your daughter and NC levels and the OoS when you see it - if children below her qualified that is good news.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi dejavu

I'm so sorry to hear you are going through all of this again. Still, at least you know what to expect, which removes around 10% of that feeling fo dread, I suppose.

I would submit the report from December. It shows that she is consistent across the curriculum. I would try to build in a comment to your presentation such as: "As you will see from her latest report, she is performing above the level for her year, despite being a late August birthday".

To a large extent the "sibling at a GS" question is a filler, but the panel will also ask it because they understand that it can be very upsetting for a child if they do not get in to a GS like their sibling or siblings. It is just a balancing factor. However, as you saw for your son's Appeal, it probably doesn't make very much difference to the outcome.

If you are asked I would just say: "Yes, and I am sure you will realise that my daughter would very much like to have the same opportunity as her brother".

The specific school is not a matter for this Appeal, but if she plans to go to the same school there is no harm in adding "and she hopes to attend the same Grammar School as her brother".

Good luck - do let us know how you get on.

Sally-Anne
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

I understand that this is one of the most commonly asked questions.
No, it isn't, although panels will often ask if there are any siblings, and this might occasionally lead to which schools they are at.
Will it help my daughter's case if she already has a brother at grammar?
No.

Good luck
Etienne
capers123

Post by capers123 »

Will it help my daughter's case if she already has a brother at grammar?
The only time a Sibling is taken into account is when the LEA are allocating places - so if two children have equal scores, one with a sibling at the school would get a higher priority on the place. Same applies if the child is "Looked After" by the LEA.

If we had two appeals that were identical, then it's just possible a Sibling might just tip it, but it's never happened in my few years on a panel, as no two appeals are ever that alike.
Capers
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Capers is right to make the wider point.

My categorical "No" was meant for Dejavu - the context being a Bucks "selection appeal" (i.e. the only issue is non-qualification).
Etienne
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now