Bucks Appeal - 1st Feb

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
sharone

Post by sharone »

Dear Cookie

I agree with MelW, the panel were very nice, and it's natural to be nervous. My hands were shaking so much when I was trying to pour some water that one of the panel members advised me that the cups did tend to tip over (I guess some other pour soul tipped water all over their notes). Towards the end I managed to calm down a little, and although there were a few things we'd said that worried me, overall, you can only do your best. As for the reading age, I mainly included this as our son's school doesn't administer CATs so I didn't have those to back up our assertions on his academic ability.

I know it's easier said than done, but try not to worry. The experience itself was not horrible, though the anxiety associated is....
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

I thought a reading age of 12:08 at 10:10 was excellent, until I read that a reading age of plus 2 years is considered GS material
Dear Cookie

"Two years above chronological age" is a rough guide. I wouldn't worry too much about 1 year 10 months - I would accept this as close enough, and you were right to highlight it as good evidence.

It's very reassuring that so many appellants are describing their panel as "lovely", "very kind".
Etienne
Cookie

Post by Cookie »

Thanks for all your advice and kind words. I've been lurking on this site since about July 2007, reading posts and digesting advice etc and I value all of your opinions.
I know I should be calm about this...and I know my last post sounded desperate :oops: . The thing is, I know my son would benefit from, and do well at, a GS (and I also know most parents on here would say the same thing! and I agree that most of these kids probably would!). I just want to give the appeal panel everything they need to come to the decision that I hope they will.
I wish everyone else going through this process the very best and hope you get the decision you are hoping for too!
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

If anyone going through all this is calm, there's probably something wrong with them! :D
Etienne
Cookie

Post by Cookie »

Thank you. You just made me laugh for the first time today!
caz34red

Post by caz34red »

Hi Cookie,

I thought I would add my own experience. Others have stated the Panel were very kind etc and I will back this up, mine straight away made us feel at ease, basically they are not there to discredit you, they are there to assess based on evidence whether your child should be at a grammar school, as Sally-Anne and Etienne have stated academic achievement is the key. All of your evidence is very good, just go in and show it, you are not up against the panel. I know it is easy for me to say this as mine is over and done with. I wish you good luck, stay positive.

Best Wishes
Caz34red
Cookie

Post by Cookie »

Well, we are nearly there.
As my youngest would say "just one more sleep!"

I am in the process of writing my own statement to read, as I know I will forget things otherwise.

My son's year 6 teacher has written a letter, and sandwiched amongst some very positive praise regarding his maturity and academic acheivements is a comment that he can be distracted by others and a bit boisterous at times. Now I read it and thought 'well, he is an 11 year old boy, duh!' but now I am wondering whether I should give it to the panel or not. I hadn't sent it in previously as she didn't write it early enough (I got it yesterday). Any advice?
MelW

Post by MelW »

Hi Cookie

If it is any help, at our appeal one of the panel asked me if my son was a 'typical boy'. She said this in an understanding way :wink: . I said yes he was, sometimes could be distracted/dreamy but I felt this was a maturity issue (July birthday). Some boys need a bit of time to mature and this behaviour is not necessarily a reflection on how bright they are!
Good Luck tomorrow. :)
MelW
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

he can be distracted by others and a bit boisterous at times.
It's not a problem. :D

Think "Academic ability/extenuating circumstances"!
Etienne
camden

Post by camden »

Hi Cookie.
...just in case you're still up writing your statement.....good luck for tomorrow, and enjoy this "one more sleep" so that you are (as my youngest says) "full of beans"!!!!
Camden
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now