advice for Bucks appeal next week

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

mummalea01

Post by mummalea01 »

Good luck Sharone, here's hoping you get a great result! :P
sharone

Post by sharone »

Thanks to everyone for their good wishes. We're sitting at our kitchen table at the moment sketching out what we're going to say, and what we may reply to possible questions. Horrible.

There's bound to be more things we'll want to ask as we go through things, but what I wanted to ask now is in relation to reading ages as I remember people mentioning this in support of their child's academic ability. We didn't know what our son's was until today, and apparently his last assesment put his reading age as 13.06 (he was 11 at the end of Septmber). It sounds pretty good to me (especially given how much he reads about football and cars), but does anyone know what percentage of children have a reading age 2 years higher than their actual age? Is this slightly above average or well above average?

Thanks again for any help/advice
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Dear Sharone

I don't know the % figure, but I can tell you that 2 years above chronological age is considered to be grammar school standard.

Best of luck for tomorrow.
Etienne
sharone

Post by sharone »

Once again, Etienne, you've been very helpful. Should we include this reading age in our presentation?
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Yes, it appears to be the latest result, is extremely good, and is well worth highlighting. :D
Etienne
caz34red

Post by caz34red »

Sharon,

Just wanted to wish you Good Luck for tomorrow, hope it goes well.

Caroline
Caz34red
sharone

Post by sharone »

Thanks, I'll let you know how it goes.....
nibbee

Post by nibbee »

Good luck for tomorrow. We are all 100% behind you and I will keep my fingers crossed.
sharone

back from appeal

Post by sharone »

Just got back from our appeal this morning. We've not come out with a positive vibe about our chances of success, but at least we feel that we've done the best we could have done, and can only hope that the panel agreed with us that our son's score is not a true reflection of his ability or aptitude for Grammar school.

We had the usual filler question about whether he's an avid reader, and what he likes to do in his spare time. Think we turned this around to our advantage but who knows.

Anyway, it's done and dusted now, and just have to wait for the letter to arrive.

Our concern now is that our daughter is due to transfer to middle school next year, and we've not sure whether she should still go to our son's school. Given what we know now, we're worrying that we may be disadvantaging her chances of success.

I'll keep you posted, and thanks to everyone, especially Etienne and Sally-Anne, for your advice and support. I'm hoping we won't need to go through all this again in 4 years.

Best wishes
Sharon
Hope

Post by Hope »

Hi Sharon

At least the appeal is over with now and you feel you did your best, fingers crossed for the result.

With regard to your daughter it might be worth having a look around some other middle schools in your area to see how they compare to your son's school. You can make an informed decision then about which school to choose for her.