Bexley appeal

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Novice mum

Re: Bexley head teacher review

Post by Novice mum »

Thanks 1971 and Marty ..... My god it is going to be a very long year . I have a feeling knowing my luck it won't be until the end of August before I know where we finally stand . My daughter who is in year 4 now wants to start preparing for her 11 plus ... Yip talk about Groundhog Day !
I really didn't want to have to go to appeal but it seems kind of inevitable .
I would love to know what extenuating circumstances the 2 successful candidates had this yr and what reasoning you can put forward for an appeal . The academic achievements are self explanatory but what extra arguments can you give for your preferred school ....
Ah well better get my thinking cap on ........
Novice mum

Post by 1971 »

When I spoke to our head, she did tell me the ht review would not be successful, but I got the impression that appeals are possibly slightly more likely? Maybe individual schools (particularly single sex ones with slightly less demand than the mixed) are more likely to accept arguments of selective suitability from the school and evidence from far exceeding the kent test pass level, than the panel? Lets hope so anyway.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

1971 wrote:When I spoke to our head, she did tell me the ht review would not be successful, but I got the impression that appeals are possibly slightly more likely? Maybe individual schools (particularly single sex ones with slightly less demand than the mixed) are more likely to accept arguments of selective suitability from the school and evidence from far exceeding the kent test pass level, than the panel? Lets hope so anyway.
I hope you don't mind me popping up to say, it's not the school which makes the decision at an appeal, but the Independent Appeals Panel. The decision that the panel makes - having heard the case put forward by each side - is legally binding on both the school and the appellant.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
MartyMcFly

Post by MartyMcFly »

Thanks for the note ToadMum. So the Independant Panel is literally Independant from the school you appeal to. That has cleared up one of my queries - thank you. I have looked through the 'appeal experience and case study' post at the top of this forum & it talks about School Governors being on the appeal panel - which confused me! I guess they are random school governors of other schools. Not governors of the school you are appealing to. Who is likely to be there to speak to make the case for your child not to join your chosen school at the Appeal? Would it be the Head Teacher?
Marty
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Who is likely to be there to speak to make the case for your child not to join your chosen school at the Appeal? Would it be the Head Teacher?
The admission authority can choose whoever they want to act as the "presenting officer".
If it's an academy, then it's up to the school to decide who should represent them.
It could well be the headteacher. Other possibilities include any member of the school's senior leadership team.

See also:
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeals/general#a30" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The academic achievements are self explanatory but what extra arguments can you give for your preferred school ....
The usual ones can be seen here:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... -school#c2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hope this helps.
Etienne
ronkevso

Post by ronkevso »

Is it too late to put down Gravesend Grammar School? They have taken Bexley boys in the past.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

ronkevso wrote:Is it too late to put down Gravesend Grammar School? They have taken Bexley boys in the past.
Any change to your CAF at this time would probably render the whole application 'late'. Better to wait until after March 1st, at least get a school place allocated and then ask to amend your preferences, replacing one with Gravesend.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Novice mum

Bexley appeal

Post by Novice mum »

Hi ,
I have submitted an appeal for my son for bexley. We have to argue non- qualification and over subscription. I think the academic case is pretty strong . He is on target for 110 + in his sats in maths and English and working at greater depth in his writing.The head strongly recommends him and his year 6 teacher wrote a lovely letter of support. ( academic and personal).
Part of our case for over subscription is related to his Sen needs and how the particular school would meet his needs best ... My question is how much knowledge would the panel have regarding Sen , so at the hearing would it be best to explain the problem generally and then how they relate to my son and to show how over the years the type of support that has helped him and what he needs in the future , and how the school is the best to provide this support.
Would the panel members have much knowledge of grammar schools or the grammar school we are appealing for ? I don't want to bombard them with information that they may already be familiar with but also I need them to understand the issues at play so they can make a proper informed decision. Have the panel members had any specific training to be able to sit on the panel ?
Thanking you ,
Novice mum
Etienne

Re: Bexley appeal

Post by Etienne »

Hi. I've merged this with your previous thread.
It helps us to have all your posts in one place.
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeals/general#a59" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Novice mum wrote:at the hearing would it be best to explain the problem generally and then how they relate to my son and to show how over the years the type of support that has helped him
Evidence is always better than a speech. The panel might well prefer:
• an explanatory sheet explaining the problem in general terms - ideally something concise (e.g. A4 in length), and from an official source.
• evidence from the current school explaining the type of support that has benefited him.

If the panel want to know more, they will ask during "Questions".

That would leave you free to comment on his future needs, and what research you have done to find the best school for him.
Would the panel members have much knowledge of grammar schools or the grammar school we are appealing for ?
Difficult to say. At least one panel member must have a background in education, but they may or may not know about individual grammar schools.
Have the panel members had any specific training to be able to sit on the panel?
Yes, they will have received training. They should be aware of their responsibilities under the Equality Act, and consider whether your son has a disability within the meaning of the Act - but they won't necessarily know much about specific special needs.
Etienne
Novice mum

Re: Bexley appeal

Post by Novice mum »

Hi ,
Just to give you an update . On Monday we had an appeal for Beths and today I received a phone call that the appeal was successful. I am still in shock . Still don't quite believe it as we don't have it in writing ,but I will ring admissions at Beths tomorrow and get details re transition meeting etc....
I really thought we were just going through the process and wouldn't be successful. That said the panel were very nice ,sympathetic and understanding. So after a very long journey we have at last arrived at the end of the road of our 11 plus saga.
Thank you Etienne and everyone else who have given advice and help .
Novice mum