Bexley appeal

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Novice mum

Bexley appeal

Post by Novice mum »

Hi ,
I have looked through the appeals section but haven't found much information about a Bexley head teacher review. My son missed out on a selective score by the smallest of margins he scored 213.83 when the required score was 214. I have been informed by Bexley that we could have a head teachers review. I have made an appointment to see the head teacher next week( as she and all of year 6 are currently away on a residential trip).
Our school is not pro 11 plus and I don't think they have ever done a review in the past. I am hoping that when I see her next week I can persuade her to help. My sons attainment at school is generally high ...he is exceeding in maths and English. But as far as I know our school doesn't have any gifted and talented programme , hasn't done cat exams or nfer... (if that's what they're called).
My extenuating circumstances would be related to some Sen requirements.
That said my son isn't statemented or formally diagnosed, but is regarded to be on the spectrum. ( mildly)
I feel if I don't at least try this review I will always be thinking what if?!
He was devastated that he didn't make the grade , he was sure that he had passed.
He so wants to go to a grammar school, I think it would be the right environment for him and he would flourish.
If the head teacher doesn't want to partake in the review what next ?
I am going to need the school to furnish me with his academic history reports etc, I will need the senco to conform his special needs, and I will need the school Councillor to confirm my evidence. I would also like ideally his current teacher to give a letter of recommendation.
Can all this be done /acquired if the head teacher is against a review?
( I am thinking worst case senario)
The deadline for the review is the 10 th November.
Any advise would be greatly appreciated,
Novice mum
Etienne

Re: Bexley head teacher review

Post by Etienne »

Welcome to Appeals! :)
I have looked through the appeals section but haven't found much information about a Bexley head teacher review.
Generally speaking, reviews (where available) are not noted for their transparency!

Bexley publish the following information:
the applicant’s primary school Headteacher may request a review of the decisions they disagree with. In such cases, the ‘Head Teacher Review Panel’ considers all the relevant information before making a decision. This can include the applicant’s test scores, recent school work and comments from the applicant’s primary school Headteacher.
Please note that selective decisions will only be changed by the Review Panel in exceptional circumstances.
Ideally, for a review or for an appeal, I would suggest:
• a score as close as possible to what was required (which you clearly have).
• some strong alternative academic evidence: http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... cation#b11" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
• strong (but realistic) support from the headteacher
• extenuating circumstances, preferably exceptional

See what the headteacher has to say. Not sure I would advise a review without her support. Presumably the review panel will comprise other headteachers (her colleagues)? At least with an appeal you get a completely independent panel.

I'm not aware that Bexley enforce the 'fair, consistent & objective' test at an appeal, but this is something you might wish to check to make sure that any future appeal won't be prejudiced.
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appea ... cation#b18" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I am going to need the school to furnish me with his academic history reports etc, I will need the senco to conform his special needs, and I will need the school Councillor to confirm my evidence. I would also like ideally his current teacher to give a letter of recommendation.
Can all this be done /acquired if the head teacher is against a review?
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appea ... cation#b20" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
If the head teacher doesn't want to partake in the review what next ?
You can submit an appeal in March. The appeal hearing will be in the summer term.
Etienne
Novice mum

Post by Novice mum »

Thank you so much Etienne.
Do you know whether we meet the review panel or if the information is sent off and we then hear in December whether it was successful or not ?
Will get in contact with Bexley admissions re possible prejudice if need to do an appeal later.
Once again many thanks.
Novice mum.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Hi Novice mum
Do you know whether we meet the review panel ......
I don't think so - unlike appeals, reviews usually take place without the parents.
No opportunity for questions or clarification. Decisions are taken solely on the information submitted.
Etienne
Novice mum

Post by Novice mum »

Etienne,
We just received our kent 11 plus results . He was deemed selective .
Would it be recommended using this as evidence of grammar school suitability.
He score was 347 so not very high but a pass. ( pass 320)
We are out of county so it's great he passed to raise his morale but not high enough to get into a Kent grammar.
Regards,
Novice mum
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Novice mum wrote:Etienne,
We just received our kent 11 plus results . He was deemed selective .
Would it be recommended using this as evidence of grammar school suitability.
He score was 347 so not very high but a pass. ( pass 320)
We are out of county so it's great he passed to raise his morale but not high enough to get into a Kent grammar.
Regards,
Novice mum
Sometimes risky to mention qualification elsewhere when appealing for a particular school
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appea ... cation#b50" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
- but I think it's worth mentioning for a review where the only issue is selective ability.

Very good for morale! :D
Etienne
Novice mum

Post by Novice mum »

Hi Etienne,
We are in shock mr has managed to get through to stage 2 St. Olaves .
Yeah further confidence / morale boost.
Should we add this to our academic case or would it look like we are just trying every where and don't really need to be deemed selective in Bexley .... When in fact we do. Think my top school would be Beths in Bexley.
Thanking you for all your advice and help.
Novice mum
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

We are in shock mr has managed to get through to stage 2 St. Olaves
Well done! :D

It ought to be all right to mention it for review purposes.
Etienne
lefol

Post by lefol »

Definitely go for the review given his point score was so close to the cut off . My only concern about you mentioning his qualification for the stage 2 of St Olaves is that the Review Panel May feel he has an alternative Kent or St Olaves and as such turn down the appeal as they may feel he has alternatives - I may be wrong . If you had Beth’s on your list and he passed Kent, why not list and consider other schools within or close to the A2 such as Dartford if you live within one of the parishes , Wilmington if you live within 3.9 miles of the school which is what they did last year and Gravesend Grammar again a few train stops away . I would consider all of the above options as very good back ups on your CAF form and also do the appeal at the same time and work on prep for the Stage 2 st places exam - good luck
Novice mum

Post by Novice mum »

Hi lefol,
Seeing the head teacher tomorrow so hopefully a review will be go!
We are too far from Wilmington and scores too low for dartford , Judds and skinners so basically no school in Kent we would be able to get into. ( We are in Bromley)
Mr is now fired up for st Olaves ... More so than he had been for his 11 pluses.
So our only realistic grammar school opportunity would be Bexley, we are within catchment for Chis and Sids and Beths ,as long as distances don't change too much this year.
St Olaves would be great but think it would be a miracle . That said we didn't think he would make it to stage 2 as he said the exam was a million times more difficult than Kent or Bexley. So you never know.We will give it a good shot!
Thanks for your advice ,
Novice mum.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now