Bexley appeal

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Novice mum

Re: Bexley head teacher review

Post by Novice mum »

I met the head teacher this morning and to my utter relief she supports a review. Yeah!
She is going to get all the documentation together and email me with all details before she lodges the review. And if there is anything I would like to add just to contact her .
A weight seems to have been lifted.
I just pray that we get a positive outcome in December. (I am not that religious but for this ...)
Novice mum
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Novice mum wrote:I met the head teacher this morning and to my utter relief she supports a review. Yeah!
She is going to get all the documentation together and email me with all details before she lodges the review. And if there is anything I would like to add just to contact her .
A weight seems to have been lifted.
:D
Etienne
Novice mum

Post by Novice mum »

Hi Etienne,
Me again. I got some data regarding the head teacher review in Bexley ; apparently last year there were 140 reviews and 0 were successful. Also there are 73 students on the same score as my son.
I also asked whether the appeal panel( if we needed to go to appeal) would be aware of a review and whether the results of the review would an impact on the appeal ... I was told the appeal panel would probably ask about whether there was a review as our appeal would be dealing with nonselection and would probably question why our review wasn't successful. I asked whether this would prejudice our appeal but wasn't really given an answer.
Would it be fair to ask Bexley whether their review and or appeals are fair ,consistant and objective.
( would their appeals automatically be fair , consistant and objective as an independent panel )
If they can't state the review is fair,consistant and objective does that have a negative impact if we need to go to appeal.
Too much legalise for me I am afraid ....
I just want to do which ever method would give us a higher probability of a positive outcome .
Regards ,
Novice mum
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Novice mum wrote:apparently last year there were 140 reviews and 0 were successful.
0? :roll:

At the risk of spreading yet more gloom, my recollection of Bexley GS appeals is that they're hard to win. :(
You might like investigate what the recent appeal figures have been like.
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeals/general#a39" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I also asked whether the appeal panel( if we needed to go to appeal) would be aware of a review and whether the results of the review would an impact on the appeal ... I was told the appeal panel would probably ask about whether there was a review as our appeal would be dealing with nonselection and would probably question why our review wasn't successful.
I'm not sure how much feedback you would get from an unsuccessful review in Bexley - in some areas parents are told little more than "The panel saw no reason to change the decision not to qualify"!
In any event, I can't see why an appeal panel would be particularly interested in the outcome of a review, when they presumably know that the success rate is around zero!
Admittedly, if they decide they want to turn down the appeal, they could use an unsuccessful review as an additional reason to justify their decision.

The rather vague wording used during your enquiry suggests to me that the 'fair, consistent & objective' test is not being applied.
I assume you were talking to the LA? If you want to be absolutely sure, you could ask one of the grammar schools whether it would normally be part of their appeal case that the appellant has already had a 'fair, consistent & objective' review.

Another thing which makes me think it improbable that the 'fair, consistent & objective' test will be used is that it would be unfair to do so without warning you before you apply for a review.
Etienne
NiugeS

Post by NiugeS »

Hi Novice mum,

140 reviews and 0 were successful? That is a terrible statistic. I was wondering where you received this information. Was it from the LA? This seems even lower than the actual appeal statistics.

Thanks,
NiugeS
Novice mum

Post by Novice mum »

Hi NiugeS
Got the info re reviews from school admissions London borough of Bexley.
Don't know what the sucess rate is elsewhere but this is pretty abismal .
But we have to keep on hoping !
Novice mum
NiugeS

Post by NiugeS »

I understand the success rate would be low but 140 reviews and not 1? It hardly gives you confidence.
Novice mum

Post by Novice mum »

Just wanted to give an update on my sons head teacher review.
The review was heard on the 24 th Nov and we got the results on Friday ... There were 126 reviews and 2 were successful but we unfortunately were not deemed selective.
So fingers are crossed for a st Olaves place ... If not appeal for Beths !
My god this saga just continues ......

Post by 1971 »

Hi Novicemum.

Just wanted to say you have my sympathies as one of the other 124 not successful at head teachers review. I take the view that presumably they check the paper as part of that, so it probably ticks off one of the things that would play through your mind over the coming months.

Best of luck for St O. I think the head at Beths said they allowed 1 child in last year under the selective mark (they didn't mention appeals in that quote, so I think they have a reserve list like Townley, for places after all selectives have taken what they want).

Its going to be a very long school year!
MartyMcFly

Post by MartyMcFly »

Hello from another of the 124...
It's like being stuck in some sort of GroundHog Day. So sympathies all round & yes 1971 it's going to be a very long school year!
Anybody out there done an Appeal to a Bexley School and lived to tell the tale or could share some helpful advice?
Good luck Novice for the StOs results.
Signing off
Marty
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now