Appeal for autistic child in Slough

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
KatharineB

Re: Appeal for autistic child in Slough

Post by KatharineB »

Oops I meant 120 edited my post. I had to go recheck it as I got excited for a minute. :)
exam2019

Post by exam2019 »

Amber wrote:Nothing of any use whatsoever to add; just that it is very sad to me that a child with so many mountains to climb already now has to fight over one mark in an exam which clearly was maladministered to meet her needs. I have worked in the past with autistic children and feel so sad for parents who have to argue for basic provision. It does help to put into context some of the lesser issues many of us encounter. I wish you huge luck and hope someone sees sense very soon KatherineB.
Amber - you have actually put your finger exactly on the nub of the matter! Clearly a child with ASD who was not given reasonable accommodations (as outlined in advance by CAMHS) has clearly demonstrated that they have met the required standard if only 1 mark short! Imagine how good her score would have been if she had been properly supported! The nice SENCO you mentioned sound awesome - apply there!
PlaceQuest

Post by PlaceQuest »

How did your appeal go?

Did the panel discuss a reasonable adjustment under the Equality Act as she didn't get extra time in the entrance exam ?

Please feel free to PM me.
KatharineB

Post by KatharineB »

Hi there. Luckily we didn't end up having to go to an appeal as we were successful at a selection review in Bucks. I think having great academic evidence and a fair HT 2:2 recommendation backing up her issues really helped e.g. 98th percentile, L3s in year 2, greater depth, CREST Science award, Bronze iDEA award etc.

After speaking to the various SENco we actually very much changed our mind on which school was best by the CAF deadline. BGS ended up being our first choice.

She is now starting her first choice in September. She had such a positive induction day so we are very pleased for her.
exam2019

Post by exam2019 »

Fantastic news! Really happy for you :D
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now