Go to navigation
It is currently Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:52 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:32 am 

My DS scored 335 overall, 109 in Maths, 103 in English, 123 in Reasoning - so missed a grammar assessment by 3 points in English. His CAT scores in Year 5 indicated a good pass and English has generally been a very strong subject. His Reading level at the end of year 5 was Exceeds, Writing and Maths were as Expected.

Wondering what our likelihood of success will be with an appeal to Tunbridge Wells Boys Grammar, so we can decide whether to try it or not.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:01 pm 

Welcome to Appeals! :)

Lots of reading to do.
Start here.

Once you've finished reading, if you still have unanswered questions, do please let us know.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:16 pm 

I have appealed twice to TWGSB for my sons and both times got in. As long as the marks are near to the pass mark, I would say go for it. With my younger son's year (current Year 8), they told us at the Part 1 meeting of the appeal process that they had opened up another class, ie had 30 more spaces available. If you don't try, you will always be wondering what if.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:19 pm 

Also from what I have heard, the English results do seem very low this year. I have heard of a child getting through on HT assessment this year with 93 in English! Obviously a very unexpected mark as I think that is the lowest mark I have heard of getting through on that (without extenuating circs like being ill). You need to really work on his English though so that when it comes to getting a letter from primary school they can say that he has made recent rapid progress and is definitely working at grammar school standard.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:39 pm 

Etienne wrote:
Welcome to Appeals! :)

Lots of reading to do.
Start here.

Once you've finished reading, if you still have unanswered questions, do please let us know.

Hi
i want ask - do i appeal to kent council or specific school ? My daughter was on kent test 340 score but english she have 100 and they cannot her offered a place at Kent Grammar schools on 1 March 2018 on the basis of the Kent Test results. I know if we want we may put on papers kent grammar school and when they not accept her ( and they do i know ) then i may appeal . But i appeal to one by one school or to council ?

Hi
I've copied this to your own thread - you will find an answer there.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:22 am 

Wow twells mum some very interesting information there. Can I pm you for more information?

OP sorry to jump in x

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:36 pm 

Hi Twellsmum, thanks for responding. Do you mind me asking which years you appealed for your sons and how close they were to passing? I know Tech took an extra class last year, so I'm assuming that means that they won't this year (which won't help our case!). Also, did you have strong backing from the primary school? We spoke to the headmaster on Friday last week and he said that he will back us if there is strong progress shown in Y6 (he didn't put him in for the headteacher assessment process).

As a note on the English, its always been really strong for him, I would have been less surprised if he'd failed on something else. There seem to be a lot of people in his boat this time round that have missed it on the English.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:35 pm 

closebutnocigar wrote:
Hi Twellsmum, thanks for responding. Do you mind me asking which years you appealed for your sons and how close they were to passing? I know Tech took an extra class last year, so I'm assuming that means that they won't this year (which won't help our case!). Also, did you have strong backing from the primary school? We spoke to the headmaster on Friday last week and he said that he will back us if there is strong progress shown in Y6 (he didn't put him in for the headteacher assessment process).

As a note on the English, its always been really strong for him, I would have been less surprised if he'd failed on something else. There seem to be a lot of people in his boat this time round that have missed it on the English.

Hi I am in the same boat as you, missed it on English and headmaster will support us if strong progress in year 6.
I have also heard of lots who have missed on English. If you ever want to share tips or get together let me know x

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:14 am 

twellsmum wrote:
I have appealed twice to TWGSB for my sons and both times got in. As long as the marks are near to the pass mark, I would say go for it. With my younger son's year (current Year 8), they told us at the Part 1 meeting of the appeal process that they had opened up another class, ie had 30 more spaces available. If you don't try, you will always be wondering what if.

My DS also missed by a mark in English and total score 334.
Yes, I agree that we should definitely try to appeal but then i guess we should also keep an alternative in case it is not successful. Can i know if you have any alternative in mind or you just went on hoping that you will win the appeal?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:06 am 

Sri_mv wrote:
twellsmum wrote:

My DS also missed by a mark in English and total score 334.
Yes, I agree that we should definitely try to appeal but then i guess we should also keep an alternative in case it is not successful. Can i know if you have any alternative in mind or you just went on hoping that you will win the appeal?

You have to submit your CAF by the end of this month, naming all your preferences in order - you can't wait until you are not allocated a grammar school, have appealed and possibly lost your appeal, before applying for a non-grammar place.

If you don't name any school at which your DC has a chance of being offered a place, on March 1st you will be allocated the nearest school which has places available - which may be both undesirable and an inconvenient journey away.