Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Karma67

Re: Here again...

Post by Karma67 »

worriedfolks wrote:Hiya

We will be emailing our pack too

Fingers crossed :)
Glad to know I'm not the only one....what are you putting as Subject? childs name and dob? or just that it's selection review pack?

Best of luck x
Karma67

Post by Karma67 »

DC17C wrote: Hi reading about your experience of the 11 plus brought back memories of my own son failing under similar circumstances.....he was diagnosed with dyspraxia after the test and had similar high ability in other school assessments.....interestingly I have sincce been diagnosed with hypermobility spectrum disorder...so definitely something in the genes!!

We were lucky to appeal and gain a place at a grammar school where DS has indeed thrived. The teaching staff clearly see him as being in an appropriate setting for him he is regarded as a high achiever in maths and science...and he has had good SEN support which he is gradually needing less as he goes through the school. Being able to use a laptop for longer writing tasks has been very helpful.
I hope you are able to make a case for your son...Hypermobility certainly causes physical challenges that can cause a disadvantage in testing..especially in trying to wirk quickly can encourage a more tense hand grip which in turn causes hand pain. Children with dyspraxia tend to need time to relax their hands and move about a bit to gain focus....good luck :)
Thank you for sharing your experience with me, and so pleased to hear you were succuessful and your DS is thriving at grammar school.
May I ask, did you do a selection reveiw or an appeal? I do worry that my DS's scor was 103 they may not even entertain looking at it :(
worriedfolks

Post by worriedfolks »

Hi

I guess we will put a name and date of birth, I vaguely remember a reference number on the selection review paperwork, may quote that too if it's relevant.

How many things are you attaching to the review, we are thinking to attach the yr 5 report but it's 6 pages so thinking only to attach the last page where the teacher had made comments and special achievements.
Karma67

Post by Karma67 »

worriedfolks wrote:Hi

I guess we will put a name and date of birth, I vaguely remember a reference number on the selection review paperwork, may quote that too if it's relevant.

How many things are you attaching to the review, we are thinking to attach the yr 5 report but it's 6 pages so thinking only to attach the last page where the teacher had made comments and special achievements.
I wasn't planning to attach Yr5 report as HT statement had the academic scores etc on it, but may I should! So far I have HT statement, my statement review form, OT report and summary.... So in total 14 pages so far... :shock: I'll dig out my DS school report and see if it adds anything of value, then I'll probably email it tomorrow x
Karma67

Post by Karma67 »

worriedfolks wrote:Hi

Went onto the site, it has drop down list and option to select 'I'm submitting selsction revieiw paperwork and evidence' and then put in child's name dob etc so that makes it nice and simple :wink: :)
DC17C

Post by DC17C »

Karma67 wrote:
DC17C wrote: Hi reading about your experience of the 11 plus brought back memories of my own son failing under similar circumstances.....he was diagnosed with dyspraxia after the test and had similar high ability in other school assessments.....interestingly I have sincce been diagnosed with hypermobility spectrum disorder...so definitely something in the genes!!

We were lucky to appeal and gain a place at a grammar school where DS has indeed thrived. The teaching staff clearly see him as being in an appropriate setting for him he is regarded as a high achiever in maths and science...and he has had good SEN support which he is gradually needing less as he goes through the school. Being able to use a laptop for longer writing tasks has been very helpful.
I hope you are able to make a case for your son...Hypermobility certainly causes physical challenges that can cause a disadvantage in testing..especially in trying to wirk quickly can encourage a more tense hand grip which in turn causes hand pain. Children with dyspraxia tend to need time to relax their hands and move about a bit to gain focus....good luck :)
Thank you for sharing your experience with me, and so pleased to hear you were succuessful and your DS is thriving at grammar school.
May I ask, did you do a selection reveiw or an appeal? I do worry that my DS's scor was 103 they may not even entertain looking at it :(
Hi this was in a different area to you so there were no reviews - just straight to appeal. It sounds like the review thing adds another layer of complexity to the situation which I don’t really understand. It is harder to win an appeal with a low score and the stronger the alternative evidence is...the better....and you do have some extenuating circumstances...tough situation..sorry you are in it :(
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

...... thinking only to attach the last page where the teacher had made comments and special achievements.
To be relevant, the comments would need to be about academic achievements.

There can be a slight risk in submitting part of a report. ("Why have they selected just this bit? What are they hiding?")

Whether or not to submit the entire Y5 report rather depends on whether it adds anything to the academic case when there is already so much detail in the headteacher's summary form.
Etienne
Karma67

Post by Karma67 »

Etienne wrote:
...... thinking only to attach the last page where the teacher had made comments and special achievements.
To be relevant, the comments would need to be about academic achievements.

There can be a slight risk in submitting part of a report. ("Why have they selected just this bit? What are they hiding?")

Whether or not to submit the entire Y5 report rather depends on whether it adds anything to the academic case when there is already so much detail in the headteacher's summary form.
That's why I hadn't added as yet, got a copy from school today so will read it and see if it shows progressive improvement in light of his focus and hypermobility x
Karma67

Post by Karma67 »

All submitted now! Just going to put it to the back of my mind now and wait until the letter arrives in Feb :)