Grounds for appeal??

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

suli2727

Grounds for appeal??

Post by suli2727 »

My DD sat an entrance exam in which GL sent the wrong answer sheet for the questions paper for the Verbal exam. As a result it was a bit of mayhem and in short the children had to resit the verbal paper a week or so later at a completely different venue.
In the original exam which took place at the school, the children were in classrooms with a clock and teachers called out when there were 30 mins, 10 mins and 5 mins left.

In the repeated VR exam, the children were in a huge room and there was a digital clock on display at the front, but no one called out when there was any time left. DD said they just said 'pens down' at the end.

DD completed 72 out of the 80 questions and was quite shocked as thought she would know when her time was ending as they did in the original exam.

She scored 314 and the pass mark was 325. I understand the conditions were the same for all children but the inconsistency with the info given about the timings really affected my DD.

Do you think there is any grounds to appeal?

Many thanks for advice
hermanmunster

Re: Grounds for appeal??

Post by hermanmunster »

You certainly would be able to appeal but would only be able to do this if you put the school on the CAF and then on March 1st you fail to get a place.

You'll need to demonstrate evidence of academic ability and be aware that it is a bit of an uphill struggle to make up 11 marks - also bearing in mind, as you mentioned, that a lot of children were similarly affected

Have a look here to start : https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeals" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Idoknow

Post by Idoknow »

I do not wish to sound harsh but, I am a bit puzzled as to why would anyone complain about the teacher not calling minutes before the end of the test (15,10,5) if there was a clock (digital or analogue) clearly visible on the wall.
We did not use a tutor for our son, we worked at home with him and for me it was a vital part of preparations that he learnt not to relay on any clocks anywhere, nor to expect voice prompts beore the end. At the same time, he was asked to practice looking at his own wrist watch and pay attention when the teacher gives the permission to start, so that he could write the finishing time somewhere on his papers as a reference point.
Regarding external circumstances, I would consider appealing if the room was extreemely hot or cold, noisy, pupils allowed to ask many questions during the test time, people coming and going from the room, no invigorators present.....
As for results, I would appeal if the score was 1-2 points below, I just could not imagine how could I appeal if it was bigger difference - that is just me.....
Very best of luck to you and your child if you decide to give it a try.
suli2727

Post by suli2727 »

Many thanks for your replies - not harsh at all! I need the honesty!

I think for my DD it was the fact that the time calling HAD happened at the original exam and so on the 2nd day she expected it to be the same, and probably relied on it knowing that's what happened. I agree - when we did tests at home they were timed but I never called out the time left and she completed them fully. I know it's not huge grounds though. She missed out 8 questions which I worked out equates to at least 16 marks approximately when standardised which is why I thought it could be enough, even if 11 marks short.

Thanks!
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

I understand the conditions were the same for all children
Unfortunately I don't see how an appeal panel could sort out which of these children underperformed specifically because of the conditions.
I think the panel would have to assess the academic evidence to judge whether the outcome was or wasn't a fair reflection of their ability. This is why it's the academic evidence that really counts.
Of course, if there is evidence that a particular child has a disability or condition which would make them especially vulnerable in this sort of situation, it would add weight to their case.
I would appeal if the score was 1-2 points below, I just could not imagine how could I appeal if it was bigger difference - that is just me.....
Buckinghamshire has made available some figures for appeals/reviews from which we can see the chances of success with different scores below their qualifying score of 121.
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appea ... aneous#e34" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I find the figures interesting because they deal solely with the issue of qualification (they are not 'distorted' by the consideration of prejudice/oversubscription).
Of course, if similar figures were available elsewhere, they might show a different pattern.
Etienne