Letter with decision

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
MCon2019

Appeal no grammar school place

Post by MCon2019 »

Just wondering if anyone can give me some advise.
We live in Langley Berks and my daughter passed the Bucks exam but not the Slough. I applied for the two closest schools that people in my area always get in to and my daughter didn't get either place but was offered a non Grammar school only.

Unfortunately the distance cut off this year went down by 4 miles roughly and I'm now 2 miles out fo catchment ( last year I would have been 2 in!). Shall I just wait on the waiting list or shall I appeal for both schools on my list.
I'm so worried that I wait on the waiting list and she's 200 or something like that and will never get in.
If I appeal what argument can I give as she passed and just had no place. I'm in complete shock as never expected no school place
Thanks
Tinkers

Re: Appeal no grammar school place

Post by Tinkers »

You can go on the waiting list as well as put in an appeal. There’s no reason you can’t do both.

I’d suggest you start by reading this
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum ... 35&t=35032" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Welcome to Appeals! :)
Shall I just wait on the waiting list or shall I appeal for both schools on my list.
Do both!
If I appeal what argument can I give as she passed and just had no place.
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... -school#c2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne
MCon2019

Post by MCon2019 »

Thank you for the info.

One other question- will I be on each schools waiting list as someone who didn't get in because school oversubscribed or will I get a higher priority as ive not been offered a Grammar school? Will this make any difference?
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

the waiting list is exactly as the oversubscription criteria ie score / distance etc (varies by school) - no priority for not having been offered a GS
mad?

Post by mad? »

MCon2019 wrote:Thank you for the info.

One other question- will I be on each schools waiting list as someone who didn't get in because school oversubscribed or will I get a higher priority as ive not been offered a Grammar school? Will this make any difference?
You will not get higher priority or not having a grammar offer, nor would anyone who had not been been offered an excellent school. Each case is considered on the same merits.
mad?
Stroller

Post by Stroller »

MCon2019 wrote:Just wondering if anyone can give me some advise.
We live in Langley Berks and my daughter passed the Bucks exam but not the Slough. I applied for the two closest schools that people in my area always get in to and my daughter didn't get either place but was offered a non Grammar school only.

Unfortunately the distance cut off this year went down by 4 miles roughly and I'm now 2 miles out fo catchment ( last year I would have been 2 in!). Shall I just wait on the waiting list or shall I appeal for both schools on my list.
I'm so worried that I wait on the waiting list and she's 200 or something like that and will never get in.
If I appeal what argument can I give as she passed and just had no place. I'm in complete shock as never expected no school place
Thanks
I’m sorry that the outcome isn’t what you were expecting. However, you have been offered a school place. For your daughter’s sake, you need to find positive things to say about the school she has been offered, as there’s no guarantee of a successful appeal / waiting list place. Meanwhile the guidance in the appeals forum will help you to express better arguments. Good luck.
Buying online? Please support music at TGS. No cost to you. Fundraising makes a difference.

Tiffin Girls' School has a designated area; see the determined admission arrangements. Use the journey planner. Note the Admissions timetable and FAQs.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Remember when putting together your case
- you are appealing for a place at a specific school, not against the school that you were allocated (even more pertinent if you wre allocated a school you actually named on your CAF) and
- you are appealing for a place at that specific grammar school, not, 'for grammar school as opposed to non-selective school' :) .
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
MCon2019

Post by MCon2019 »

Thank you for your replys. Looking like our best bet will be an appeal.
MCon2019

Letter with decision

Post by MCon2019 »

I have received an email with the appeal decision (NO) and was told we would receive a letter detailing the reasons. I can't rest till i read this but its been at least another week and a half since the email. Is there a time limit for this information or do i just have to wait it out?
We went in on another time slot and even though i know its probably our correct appeal decision until i get this information in writing and know its my daughters case i can't rest! We have our next appeal in a couple of weeks and really need to fill the gaps from this appeal.
Thanks
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now