Headmasters support

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Etienne

Re: Headmasters support

Post by Etienne »

stokrotka

The purpose of this topic is to offer advice to Blue_Marigold.

I'm going to move the last few posts to your own appeals thread.

We can help you there.
Etienne
Blue_Marigold

Post by Blue_Marigold »

Thank you everyone for your help!

I have tried to reword my evidence into a sentence.

I would like to apply for a selection review on the grounds that DD scored 117 in the transfer test. She has the headteacher recommendation of 1:1.

Is it worth putting she has a distinction in grade 3 flute?
2littleboys

Post by 2littleboys »

Good Morning Blue

I feel your pain!

I'm going through the forms too.

I know you are worried (so am I!) but for what it's worth I think it is extremely positive that you have got a 1:1 recommendation from your Head Teacher. You can't get better than that!

2 little boys
buzzybee

Post by buzzybee »

Having gone through a selection review, albeit back in 2012(!), I think the Headmasters recommendation carries a lot of weight. A 1:1 is a real positive, especially in your case whereby the other pupils passed.

Looking back with fresh eyes, our Headteacher was probably too free with her 1:1 recommendations and although dd scored 119 and had academic results to back up her suitability for Grammar, I think there were quite a few 1:1 recommendations given to others that just didn't quite make the magic 121 score. Selection review and appeal was not successful for us :(

Having said that 5 of those from her Primary school (including my dd) took the 12 plus and all passed quite easily and ended up in Year 8 at the same Grammar so maybe the Headteacher was right all along!

Wishing you lots of luck.
Blue_Marigold

Post by Blue_Marigold »

When will the review take place? Does it depend on how everyone else does or is it looked at case by case?
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Blue_Marigold wrote:When will the review take place?
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum ... ry#p633590" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Does it depend on how everyone else does or is it looked at case by case?
It is said to be case by case.
Etienne
Blue_Marigold

Post by Blue_Marigold »

Still need a bit more help with my form please. I’ve now got a copy of the headmaster’s report. It doesn’t say much. Just states some facts about her levels and a couple of sentences about her. Nothing that moved me to tears like Rags had!

It’s fine. I think the numbers speak for themselves.

I now need to send off my part but unclear on whether I should mention that all the other highly recommended children in the year group qualified. If they know this already then I don’t need to mention it do I?

I don’t know what to do?
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

I now need to send off my part but unclear on whether I should mention that all the other highly recommended children in the year group qualified. If they know this already then I don’t need to mention it do I?
Although they have the information, it's a strong point, and I think it's worth highlighting.
If you write "I'm told that .......", they will make a point of checking what you say, so their attention will be drawn to it.
Etienne
Blue_Marigold

Post by Blue_Marigold »

Thank you Etienne!

Should I also mention the grade 3 flute or is it irrelevant?

I know people who are getting recommendations from their music teachers and gymnastics teachers etc but I am not sure if this is helpful or not. If you think it will help I can try to get this for my DD too.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Blue_Marigold wrote:Should I also mention the grade 3 flute or is it irrelevant?
An ability for playing the flute wouldn't in itself be relevant - but was there much theory involved in the test?
See B11 (j)
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appea ... cation#b11" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I know people who are getting recommendations from their music teachers and gymnastics teachers etc but I am not sure if this is helpful or not. If you think it will help I can try to get this for my DD too.
A waste of time! :)
See B12 "Any do’s and don’ts for an appeal against non-qualification?"
    • c) Letters of commendation from private tutors, relatives, neighbours, club secretaries, sports coaches, and MPs won’t impress!
Etienne