Thinking of Appealing.

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Etienne

Re: Thinking of Appealing.

Post by Etienne »

Etienne, just out of interest, what about the "breach" of the "policy" or rather the "Do's and Don't" part of the leaflet that was sent prior to the exam. Is there any recourse there? I use the term "breach" loosely but certainly the School did not do what it advised it should do for my DS on that day? Or does it sound desperate on our part?
No, I don't think it would appear desperate if cautiously worded. (On the other hand, accusations of "maladministration" might indeed sound a bit desperate).
Having set out the circumstances - as concisely as possible - it would be perfectly reasonable to add "We would respectfully ask the panel to take into account these extenuating circumstances - and also to consider whether the admission arrangements were correctly applied in this case."

However, I'm not sure about the exact status of this "Do's and Don't" leaflet. Is it a bit of guidance someone at the school has put together and issued to parents who have registered for the test?
Or does it really form part of the official admission arrangements that were formally consulted on and are publicly available (i.e. published on the school's website and in the LA's composite prospectus under the heading "Admission Arrangements for 2018/19")?

The second problem is the one I outlined further above - even if they were to agree that the arrangements were not correctly applied, it seems improbable that they would go on to conclude that this on its own deprived your son of a place that would otherwise have been his (irrespective of any other factors, such as the weight of alternative academic evidence).
Etienne
atmyage

Post by atmyage »

[quote="Etienne"][quote]

However, I'm not sure about the exact status of this "Do's and Don't" leaflet. Is it a bit of guidance someone at the school has put together and issued to parents who have registered for the test?
Or does it really form part of the official admission arrangements that were formally consulted on and are publicly available (i.e. published on the school's website and in the LA's composite prospectus under the heading "Admission Arrangements for 2018/19")?

Hello Etienne,

What difference may it make to our appeal if it is one or the other? It is mentioned on their website. I have emailed the link to you.

Thank you

atmyage
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

What difference may it make to our appeal if it is one or the other?
If they failed to follow their published arrangements, as shown in the information issued to parents, someone would have their knuckles rapped!
But it would only make a big difference to you if, as I indicated before, the panel concludes that this was maladministration because it deprived your son of a place that would otherwise have been his.
Unfortunately, when an incident like this occurs during the test, it is not possible to prove with certainty what the outcome would have been if the incident had not occurred.
See https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeals/general#a47" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
for an example where it is crystal clear that a place would have been obtained if the error had not been made.

I suspect your best hope is that the panel will view the incident as an extenuating circumstance, and that this - combined with excellent academic evidence - will amount to a strong case.
Etienne
KenR

Post by KenR »

Hi atmyage

Have sent you a PM
atmyage

Post by atmyage »

Etienne wrote:
What difference may it make to our appeal if it is one or the other?
If they failed to follow their published arrangements, as shown in the information issued to parents, someone would have their knuckles rapped!
But it would only make a big difference to you if, as I indicated before, the panel concludes that this was maladministration because it deprived your son of a place that would otherwise have been his.
Unfortunately, when an incident like this occurs during the test, it is not possible to prove with certainty what the outcome would have been if the incident had not occurred.
See https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeals/general#a47" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
for an example where it is crystal clear that a place would have been obtained if the error had not been made.

I suspect your best hope is that the panel will view the incident as an extenuating circumstance, and that this - combined with excellent academic evidence - will amount to a strong case.

Hello Etienne,

I have sent you an email. Should I include only year 5 result or both in the letter. Year 5 was the year he was focussed for sitting his Grammar exams.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

I will have a look and come back to you.
Etienne
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

atmyage wrote:Hello Etienne,

I have sent you an email. Should I include only year 5 result or both in the letter. Year 5 was the year he was focussed for sitting his Grammar exams.
It's a borderline decision! The Y6 score is quite respectable, but we know how difficult these Birmingham appeals are.
If you do include it, I would comment "The school tells me that Y6 as a whole has not done well in their annual VR test. Their view is that the children were feeling deflated and lacked focus because the test occurred shortly after the 11+."

Your email refers to CATs, but the letter only mentions VR.
If we're discussing CATs, there would be 3 or 4 scores (VR, Q, NVR, perhaps spatial), and a mean score.
If it was a freestanding VR test, it was probably NFER.
Etienne
atmyage

Post by atmyage »

As ever, very helpful Etienne! Thank you.

We've only included the VR section of the CATS as we are questioning the VR results of the exam (incident occurred during VR section).

I can take the whole test with me to the hearing if they query any other section. Other sections are also good marks (maths, spatial).

His VR % was below average in the Grammar exam.

atmyage.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

We've only included the VR section of the CATS as we are questioning the VR results of the exam (incident occurred during VR section).
Good - that makes perfect sense.
I can take the whole test with me to the hearing if they query any other section. Other sections are also good marks (maths, spatial).
:D
Etienne
atmyage

Post by atmyage »

Hello Again Etienne,

I've sent two attachments - any reason at this stage why I shouldn't include the second attachment - "Letter to...".

Etienne, sorry to be a pest by drip feeding you the information. I know this is a busy time for the Appeals section so really do appreciate all the help.

regards,
atmyage
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now