Bextter appeal thread. missed the pass mark, can we appeal?

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Bexter

Bextter appeal thread. missed the pass mark, can we appeal?

Post by Bexter »

Hi, we just seen the result, my son got 43 in English and 38 in Maths and total score he got is 318. Last year with the same score children did get 340+. Does anyone know why with above individual scores became total of 318?

Also, does my child have any chances for Southend or Wetscliff (out of catchment)?

Help on this is much appreciated.
I have split this off and started a new thread. We like to keep appeal threads separate for each individual to keep the info together all in one place.

Etienne

Re: Bextter appeal thread. missed the pass mark, can we appe

Post by Etienne »

Welcome to Appeals! :)
......... missed the pass mark, can we appeal?
You can appeal and see what happens.
Whether or not it's worth appealing rather depends on the strength of the case you can put forward (academic evidence, extenuating circumstances if any, reasons for wanting a place at the school in question).

Lots of reading to do.
Start here.

The above is general advice for appeals.
Some of our local members might be able to help with your other questions.
Etienne
ToadMum

Re: Bextter appeal thread. missed the pass mark, can we appe

Post by ToadMum »

Bexter wrote:Hi, we just seen the result, my son got 43 in English and 38 in Maths and total score he got is 318. Last year with the same score children did get 340+. Does anyone know why with above individual scores became total of 318?

Also, does my child have any chances for Southend or Wetscliff (out of catchment)?

Help on this is much appreciated.
I have split this off and started a new thread. We like to keep appeal threads separate for each individual to keep the info together all in one place.

Each year's set of raw scores will have a unique mean and standard deviation, which in turn will determine the standardised score a particular pair of English and Maths raw scores will produce (someone has acquired this year's means and standard deviations from the CSSE and posted them on one of the Essex threads).

Looking at the Collated Cut offs thread from last year, 318 Is unlikely to achieve an OOC place at either WHSB or SHSB, but you never know, so if one or the other is your DS's dips preference, put it first on your CAF. If he doesn't get a place on National allocations day, he will be on the waiting list for the school. You can also register a 'Continuing Interest' in a place at one or other school and your DS will be invited to sit an entrance test if a place comes up so his year.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now