Selection Review - Bucks

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

BucksBornNBred

Re: Selection Review - Bucks

Post by BucksBornNBred »

anotherdad wrote:
11plusreviewBR wrote:Thanks Etieene. You have been of great support to me.

Final question: My daughter felt very confident after exam, can I say the same if panel asks me how did she felt after the exam?
I think the best policy is to always be honest. I doubt they'd ask the question but if they did, it might be a conversational one to help put you at ease and I can't see how an answer either way will play a part in their decision. If you try and give a tactical answer to second-guess things it will more than likely fluster you, so just answer honestly.
I have to agree that honesty is the best policy. Our DS also felt confident after the exam but didn't pass. At appeal we were asked how he felt after the exam and we told the truth. I have no idea how our answer affected the appeal but we were successful. Good luck.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

It's a filler question that is often asked.
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appea ... ication#b7" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Was she really confident, or trying to appear so to you?
If you're not sure, a non-committal form of words might be appropriate.
I hesitate because "very confident" doesn't seem to go with your particular case ("sensitive child ..... [this school will help] build her confidence").
Etienne
11plusreviewBR

Post by 11plusreviewBR »

Dear Etienne and All,

I did attend for first school appeal last week and I assume it went good. This year, number of appeals have become almost double ( approximately 450 - 2017, 800- 2018). All schools seem to be over subscribed. However we had to present our case. I could not have done good job without your guidance and help. The person represented school did had 26 years of experience as a head teacher and he did suggest that, I did good thing by skipping the selection review. My sincere thanks to Etienne for guiding me in right direction.

Out of 3 panel members, only one had questions on recent progress that was covered by head teacher recent letter. She did ask about medical conditions etc. Rest of the panel looked very happy and convincing.

Another key thing I learnt is, after 5th September my twin come into sibling category rather distance category if the panel decides to get her into waiting list. I have done my bit and leave rest to God for blessings. I did keep the discussion to brief and concise. I will keep you all posted.

Thanks again for all your kind wishes and great help here.
11plusreviewBR

Post by 11plusreviewBR »

Hi Etienne and All,

It is not a great result for us. Appeal is not successful. We all tried our best I assume. As I understand, this is final decision and can't go any further. Thanks a lot for all your great support.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Very sorry to hear this, 11plusreviewBR. Although I don't think I saw all the evidence, you had what looked like quite a strong case (120.55, twin, etc.).
As I understand, this is final decision and can't go any further.
Probably, but could you send me a copy of the decision letter to check?

I would also suggest you write and request a copy of the clerk's notes:
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeals/ombudsman#d4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It used to cost £10, but with the introduction today of the General Data Protection Regulation it should be free of charge!
Etienne
11plusreviewBR

Post by 11plusreviewBR »

Hi Etienne, Thanks a lot for your reply. I will scan the copy and send the details. Chair is same for both wycombe High and Beaconsfield High, hence my confidence has gone down for second school. Can I send the scan copy to mail id please? Thank you
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

11plusreviewBR wrote:Hi Etienne, Thanks a lot for your reply. I will scan the copy and send the details. Chair is same for both wycombe High and Beaconsfield High, hence my confidence has gone down for second school. Can I send the scan copy to mail id please? Thank you

The email address is ..... (edited)
11plusreviewBR

Post by 11plusreviewBR »

Hi Etienne, I sent the details to the mail id . Please have a look when time permits. Thanks a lot
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

The decision not to qualify your child seems harsh to me.

The decision letter appears to meet legal requirements, although I think it unwise of the panel to say that school reports should have been provided when there is no such requirement. (The Appeals Code suggests school reports or a letter of support from the current or previous school.)

It's not possible to challenge the panel's judgement, but let's see if the clerk's notes shed any more light on the process.
Etienne
11plusreviewBR

Post by 11plusreviewBR »

Hi Etienne,

Thanks a lot for your help again. As suggested, I have requested for clerks notes. I have written to appeals team and hoping to receive information soon. Once the information is available, I will share with you. Regards