Selection Review - Bucks

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
11plusreviewBR

Re: Selection Review - BUCKS

Post by 11plusreviewBR »

In Simple words, what is 'fair, consistent & objective' rule please? I did read and thread by JPK and could not understand.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

If you had been through an unsuccessful review, the panel would have had to consider whether the review was 'fair, consistent & objective'.
If their decision were to be that the review was 'fair, consistent & objective', your academic case and reasons for wanting a place would not be considered, and your appeal would automatically fail.

Back in the autumn we thought that your academic evidence wasn't strong enough to get through a review, even with such a borderline score. An unsuccessful review might well have have meant a 40 or 50% chance of your appeal being automatically rejected (whatever the merits of your academic case and reasons for wanting a place).
You thought that the academic evidence would be stronger by the time of an appeal in the summer term, which could put you in a stronger position, and you therefore took the decision not to risk a review.
Etienne
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Etienne wrote:If you had been through an unsuccessful review, the panel would have had to consider whether the review was 'fair, consistent & objective'.
If their decision were to be that the review was 'fair, consistent & objective', your academic case and reasons for wanting a place would not be considered, and your appeal would automatically fail.

Back in the autumn we thought that your academic evidence wasn't strong enough to get through a review, even with such a borderline score. An unsuccessful review might well have have meant a 40 or 50% chance of your appeal being automatically rejected (whatever the merits of your academic case and reasons for wanting a place).
You thought that the academic evidence would be stronger by the time of an appeal in the summer term, which could put you in a stronger position, and you therefore took the decision not to risk a review.
If the appeal panel say "We understand your reservations about a review, but you're now in a situation where you're appealing for an oversubscribed school," then your answer could be:

(i) "We really felt we needed more time to prepare our case."
(ii) "We wanted the opportunity to have our case heard in full by an independent panel, and the opportunity to answer any questions face to face."
Etienne
11plusreviewBR

Post by 11plusreviewBR »

Thanks a lot Etienne for clarifying the point.
11plusreviewBR

Appeal preparation Help

Post by 11plusreviewBR »

Hi Etienne & Others

Date for appeal has been announced and getting ready for the day. May I request you to share final tips covering, what to talk and what to avoid? this might have been covered here and direct me to right place.

Do we need to stand and deliver the case or will we be sitting opposite to panel members to explain the details already shared with them?

Thanks for all your wonderful support so far and I will do my best now :).
11plusreviewBR

Post by 11plusreviewBR »

Dear All, Please ignore my earlier request. I found most of the details I need from below location.

https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appea ... ication#b7" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My sincere thanks to everyone helped us so far spending their time.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

• I was going to suggest re-reading the Q&As - there's usually something there that wasn't noticed before.

As you've seen, B7 discusses questions at the hearing.

It's possible the panel for your child's 2nd pref. grammar school could ask about the fact that her twin would be attending a different grammar school.
The answer, I suggest, could be that it would put her on the same level as her twin, mean a great deal for her self-esteem, and restore her confidence.

• Time what you're going to say. I know that everything is already in your written case, so keep your speech as short as possible. No more than a few minutes, I suggest. If the panel want to know more, they will ask during "Questions".

• Think how you're going to sum up when invited to do so at the very end of the hearing:
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appea ... school#c32" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It's your last chance to influence the panel - but keep it brief. Panels do not like long summing ups!
Etienne
Etienne

Re: Selection Review - Bucks

Post by Etienne »

Do we need to stand and deliver the case or will we be sitting opposite to panel members
No need to stand.
You sit facing the panel. There is a diagram on page 11 of BCC's Parents' Guide to Appeals showing how the room will be set out:
https://www.buckscc.gov.uk/media/451066 ... e-2018.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne
11plusreviewBR

Post by 11plusreviewBR »

Thanks Etieene. You have been of great support to me.

Final question: My daughter felt very confident after exam, can I say the same if panel asks me how did she felt after the exam?
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

11plusreviewBR wrote:Thanks Etieene. You have been of great support to me.

Final question: My daughter felt very confident after exam, can I say the same if panel asks me how did she felt after the exam?
I think the best policy is to always be honest. I doubt they'd ask the question but if they did, it might be a conversational one to help put you at ease and I can't see how an answer either way will play a part in their decision. If you try and give a tactical answer to second-guess things it will more than likely fluster you, so just answer honestly.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now