Selection Review - Bucks

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
11plusreviewBR

Re: Selection Review - BUCKS

Post by 11plusreviewBR »

Thanks Etinne.

I found below details, that might be useful to other readers.

Wycombe High:

Multiple Births In the case where there is one place left and the next girl due to be admitted is one of a twin, triplet or other multiple birth group, both twins (if girls, and eligible) may be admitted, or all female siblings in the case of multiple births, even if this goes above the admission number for the school.

Beaconsfield High:
In the case where there is one place left and the next young person on the waiting list is one of a twin, triplet or other multiple-birth group, Beaconsfield High School would admit both twins (and all siblings in the case of multiple births) even if this goes over the admission number for the school.
11plusreviewBR

Not Qualified in Bucks, but qualified in different places

Post by 11plusreviewBR »

Hi, We live in BUCKS and one of twin qualified and other is short of 0.46 mark ( less than Half mark). I have taken a right decision not to go to selection review as suggested by Etienne. Now I am almost ready for appeal. Can you please advice on below two points.

1. My kid qualified in Birmingham and other county also. As my son is studying in BUCKS and have house here, I can't move to those places. I am planning to mention that, she qualified in other places where CEM style exam was conducted.
If I mention this point , is there a chance that panel asks me why did we write exam there? or will they consider this as a positive supporting point to educational ability?

2. I prepared draft appeal, it will take 10 minutes to review, can some one experienced here review and suggest final changes before I submit the appeal. Reason for ask is I am not native English speaker and my twin is keen that, I try my best .

3. From where can I find, how many seats have been filled in first allocation?

4. Will the second allocation takes place after appeal process?

5. Head teacher recommended 3:2 earlier, based on recent SATS mocks, she has given a very strong letter. Can I use this latest letter as recommendation?

Thanks in advance for all your help, support & encouragement.

My sincere thanks to Etienne for guiding me in right direction.

Regards,
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Not in your area, but on the Buckinghamshire website I did find the answer to your point (4):

https://www.buckscc.gov.uk/services/edu ... on-rounds/

I haven't looked at the Appeals info, but would guess that the first ?3 rounds of offers would have occurred before appeals are completed for most schools?

Out of interest, why did you put your DC in for the Birmingham 11+ if you had no intention of applying for schools there?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Etienne

Re: Not Qualified in Bucks, but qualified in different place

Post by Etienne »

Hi, We live in BUCKS and one of twin qualified and other is short of 0.46 mark (less than Half mark). I have taken a right decision not to go to selection review as suggested by Etienne.
My feeling was that you might stand a better chance going straight to appeal, "especially if you think that between now and May your daughter could progress to the point where 111-120 and GDS are being predicted."
1. My kid qualified in Birmingham and other county also. As my son is studying in BUCKS and have house here, I can't move to those places. I am planning to mention that, she qualified in other places where CEM style exam was conducted.
If I mention this point , is there a chance that panel asks me why did we write exam there? or will they consider this as a positive supporting point to educational ability?
I would need to know exactly why your child sat 11+ tests elsewhere. Was it purely as a practice? Or were you at some point thinking of moving to Birmingham?
2. I prepared draft appeal, it will take 10 minutes to review, can some one experienced here review and suggest final changes before I submit the appeal. Reason for ask is I am not native English speaker and my twin is keen that, I try my best .
Unfortunately we don't normally have time to check drafts, but I did say earlier on that we would make an exception in your case because of the exceptional circumstances (twins, and less than half a mark).

However, to speed things up you must play your part and first make sure that you have followed all the advice about letters of appeal in the Q&As:
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeals/general" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
    • A43. letter of appeal – non-qualification & oversubscription
      E11. letter of appeal – non-qualification
      C18. letter of appeal – oversubscription
      B40. letters of appeal
Do make sure you follow the guidance, or we shall be wasting time. For example, if you send two sides of A4 instead of one side, I shall only send it back asking you to shorten it! :wink:

In fact you will need 2 or 3 separate drafts, if you are appealing for 2 or 3 different grammar schools, because you must give specific reasons for wanting a place at each of the schools.
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... -school#c2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Please send your 2-3 drafts to the Appeals Box, but remember that this is an unmonitored email address. We won't know they are there unless you tell us on the forum. You also need to put your forum user name on the subject line.
5. Head teacher recommended 3:2 earlier, based on recent SATS mocks, she has given a very strong letter. Can I use this latest letter as recommendation?
Yes.
You're very welcome.
I'm busy at the moment - perhaps someone else could answer your other questions?

X-post with ToadMum
Etienne
Amber

Post by Amber »

11plusreviewBR wrote:1. My kid qualified in Birmingham and other county also. As my son is studying in BUCKS and have house here, I can't move to those places. I am planning to mention that, she qualified in other places where CEM style exam was conducted.
If I were on a panel, I would want to know which other places your child had qualified in, and why she took exams in places you had no chance of moving to, yes, for sure I would. I might think that it meant she had an unfair advantage actually, as she had had more practice. Others might see it as evidence of ability, I don't know.
11plusreviewBR wrote:From where can I find, how many seats have been filled in first allocation?
Ask the school? Or look at the statistics which Sally-Anne posts in the Bucks thread?
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I wouldn't mention Birmingham as its a different test and a different cohort. I'm not sure it helps your case at all.

All the Grammars are full as of March 1st. If places are turned down then there is a second round in April. Further rounds follow and appeals are heard when the school schedules them.
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

I agree with the others on the Birmingham situation. Although a CEM test, remember that the results are standardised across the group of children sitting it, so there is almost certainly no equivalence between a certain score in Birmingham and the same score in Bucks. The circumstances behind why you put your daughters through tests in multiple areas, unless genuine (i.e. uncertainty about family location) would perhaps elicit prejudice in panel members.

Best wishes with your appeal. Follow the advice set out in the Q and As. I think you know it's a long shot and even if successful, you face a battle trying to win a place at any grammar school, let alone the same one your other daughter will attend. On that point, have you considered keeping your daughters together at the same upper school? I know a family with twins and it was their intention that they would both attend the same school whatever the 11+ results because they were very close and had identical school results so it wasn't as if one was more suited to a grammar school than the other.
11plusreviewBR

Post by 11plusreviewBR »

Etienne wrote:
Hi, We live in BUCKS and one of twin qualified and other is short of 0.46 mark (less than Half mark). I have taken a right decision not to go to selection review as suggested by Etienne.
My feeling was that you might stand a better chance going straight to appeal, "especially if you think that between now and May your daughter could progress to the point where 111-120 and GDS are being predicted."

Yes, she scored 115 in Mathematics , hence it was a good decision.
I would need to know exactly why your child sat 11+ tests elsewhere. Was it purely as a practice? Or were you at some point thinking of moving to Birmingham?

These days job uncertainties are high, hence wanted to keep some options open.
Unfortunately we don't normally have time to check drafts, but I did say earlier on that we would make an exception in your case because of the exceptional circumstances (twins, and less than half a mark).

However, to speed things up you must play your part and first make sure that you have followed all the advice about letters of appeal in the Q&As:
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeals/general" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Etienne, I have done my home work. I will forward the letter today please. I have prepared why particular school. My sincere thanks for helping us.
    • A43. letter of appeal – non-qualification & oversubscription
      E11. letter of appeal – non-qualification
      C18. letter of appeal – oversubscription
      B40. letters of appeal
Do make sure you follow the guidance, or we shall be wasting time. For example, if you send two sides of A4 instead of one side, I shall only send it back asking you to shorten it! :wink:

In fact you will need 2 or 3 separate drafts, if you are appealing for 2 or 3 different grammar schools, because you must give specific reasons for wanting a place at each of the schools.
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... -school#c2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Please send your 2-3 drafts to the Appeals Box, but remember that this is an unmonitored email address. We won't know they are there unless you tell us on the forum. You also need to put your forum user name on the subject line.

Yes, I will mention my user name. As mentioned, I will send the details today.
Yes.
You're very welcome.
I'm busy at the moment - perhaps someone else could answer your other questions?

X-post with ToadMum
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

If you're commenting within a quotation, it would probably be easier to read if your comments could be in colour so that they stand out?

I look forward to receiving your homework. :)
Etienne
11plusreviewBR

Post by 11plusreviewBR »

Etienne wrote:If you're commenting within a quotation, it would probably be easier to read if your comments could be in colour so that they stand out?

I look forward to receiving your homework. :)
Hi Etienne, I did sent the details to appealbox as suggested. Kindly review the details and suggest me for changes. Once again, my sincere thanks for your time and unconditional support.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now