Mumsworld thread - Review or appeal

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
mumsworld

Re: Mumsworld thread - Review or appeal

Post by mumsworld »

Guest55 wrote:Has the Head filled in all the boxes and written a comment about academic strengths?

There is no rush to get it in as long as you meet the deadline. No need to send the report - if there is additional evidence of academic strength then get the Head to add this to their comment.
Thanks
mumsworld

Post by mumsworld »

Etienne wrote:Welcome to Appeals! :)
mumsworld wrote:he has also put down GDS for both Reading and Maths and EXS for writing.
Good!
I wanted to find out whether we still need to include my dd's year 5 sats report along with the selection review sheet.
Only if it adds something worthwhile. Does it say anything different to what the head has already put on the review form?
Another question- Her dad was away in another town from Jan to August because of unexpected changes in his work situation which caused dd some emotional distress during the crucial time of preparation. Would this be accepted as extenuating circumstance? As evidence of his absence he can get a letter from his employer.Thanks in advance everyone. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
We're a bit cautious about extenuating circumstances on here because too many parents focus on them instead of on the academic case.
Did she get the maximum possible attainment in each of reading, writing and maths at the end of Y5? If so, then, as anotherdad is pointing out, it would be rather difficult to argue simultaneously that her 11+ preparation was affected.
If not, you could argue that she would have performed even better in Y5 than she did!

Ideally, if there was emotional distress, the expectation is that if it was significant it ought to have been evident in school, and so the panel would probably like to see this confirmed by the headteacher.

However, having said all that, you need very little in the way of extenuating circumstances with a score of 120, and I would be inclined to include a letter from the employer. If the headteacher would say that he was "aware" of the situation, even better.
DD has a new headteacher and her year 5 teacher has left as well, so can't add that the school was aware of the situation. But thanks for the valuable advice :)
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

DD has a new headteacher and her year 5 teacher has left as well, so can't add that the school was aware of the situation. But thanks for the valuable advice :)
Bearing in mind that the panel will check to see whether the headteacher review form corroborates what you say, I suggest you write "Both last year's class teacher and the headteacher have left, so cannot confirm school was aware of the situation. However, I attach as supporting evidence a letter from the employer ......."
That should do it! :)
Etienne
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now