Go to navigation
It is currently Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:45 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:08 pm 

Hi my daughter recently took her exam scoring 294.... the pass mark was 295. After much thought we have decided to appeal. We have the backing of the headteacher so hopefully that will cover the academic side, but to appeal you also have to have an extenuating circumstance. We do have a couple of things- our cat of 14 years was put to sleep in the week of the test which was very upsetting for my daughter. Also I’m not sure how much this hold but my daughter became poorly (sick bug) a couple of days after the test (wondered if she didn’t realise she was under the weather). Now 1) I’m not sure what evidence I could use? And 2) the grammar school make it difficult to appeal without think about things before the results. If you are poorly you can take it another day, if you feel poorly during the test you can go home and come back and finish it another day. I’ve also just read that if you have an extenuating circumstance you should let the school know before results day, which I did not realise but ticked a box to say I’d read the parents information when I signed her up for the test. I had glanced over it but never thought I’d have to appeal so didn’t read that section. So my question is... is there any point in appealing as they seem like they have tried to cover all areas so you can not win an appeal without thought prior to the results. Has anyone tried to appeal to this school? Thanks

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:32 pm 

Welcome to Appeals! :)

Have you seen the Q&As?
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 35&t=35032

Once you've finished reading, if you still have unanswered questions, do please let us know.

Which area are you in? This part of the forum deals with appeals all over the country, and "SWGS" won't be meaningful for most of us! :?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:51 pm 

Hi many thanks for the reply. I have read the question and answers but couldn’t find anything on my particular question.
Swgs is in Wiltshire :)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:41 pm 

Quote:
...... but to appeal you also have to have an extenuating circumstance.
I wonder where "you have to have" comes from?
      Quote:
      Note that the new Code of Practice which came into force on 1st February 2012 makes no mention at all of extenuating circumstances. This is not necessarily to say that extenuating circumstances might not be discussed at a hearing, but they shouldn’t be the basis of an appeal. The main focus should always be on academic evidence.
      https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appea ... cation#b10

Quote:
We do have a couple of things- our cat of 14 years was put to sleep in the week of the test which was very upsetting for my daughter.
Could you provide a bill from the vet as evidence? Did the school notice that she was upset?
Quote:
Also I’m not sure how much this hold but my daughter became poorly (sick bug) a couple of days after the test (wondered if she didn’t realise she was under the weather). Now 1) I’m not sure what evidence I could use?
Could the GP confirm that there was a consultation a couple of days after the test?
Quote:
And 2) the grammar school make it difficult to appeal without think about things before the results. If you are poorly you can take it another day, if you feel poorly during the test you can go home and come back and finish it another day. I’ve also just read that if you have an extenuating circumstance you should let the school know before results day, which I did not realise but ticked a box to say I’d read the parents information when I signed her up for the test. I had glanced over it but never thought I’d have to appeal so didn’t read that section.
I don't think there'll be much sympathy if you didn't read the guidance. :?

Quote:
So my question is... is there any point in appealing as they seem like they have tried to cover all areas so you can not win an appeal without thought prior to the results.
If they want to turn down the appeal, they'll find a reason somewhere! It's worth appealing, I think, when you're only one mark short. If you've read the Q&As, you'll know that academic evidence
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... cation#b11
plus reasons for wanting a place at the school being appealed for
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... -school#c2
are the most important things.

Quote:
Has anyone tried to appeal to this school?
Might be worth finding out the exact success rate - then you'll know what you might be up against:
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeals/general#a39