Cancelled Appeal

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Suesole

Cancelled Appeal

Post by Suesole »

Hi All

I haven't posted for a while but glad to see everyone is still busy on this fabulous site!

After much deliberation we have decided not to proceed with our Bucks appeal. :?

Our son passed his 11+ for Berks with a score of 118 so we think our chances of gaining a place at Herschel are pretty good.

Could anyone advise, if having put Herschel as 2nd choice on the CAF form (Burnham Grammar was our first) will this cause us problems with allocation ?

I would like to thank Catherine, Sally-Anne and Etienne for all their help and advise during this trying time.

Let's hope we have made the right decision :shock:

Good luck to everyone still waiting for their appeals and well done to those of you that were successful and comiserations to those who were not.

Fingers crossed, roll on 3rd March !

Sue.
mummalea01

Post by mummalea01 »

Dear Suesole, good luck with your Berks. application. Can completely understand why you have decided to cancel the Bucks. appeal. Wish you the best with your Herschel endeavours! :o
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

Hi Suesole,

Best of luck with Herschel.
Please let us know how you get on..

Catherine
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

Suesole, sorry I missed your question earlier. Having Burnham as first choice shouldn't make any difference for Herschel as it will simply crossed out of your preference list.

All the best

Catherine
Tom's mum

Post by Tom's mum »

You should have no problem whatsoever with Herschel - last year they offered to 113 and above (not sure about 112) so 118 is secure, and, as your first preference Slough school, it does not matter that you had Burnham Grammar above. You are making the right decision - Herschel is a very, very good school
Suesole

Post by Suesole »

Thanks to you all for your feedback.

Tom's mum - Just what I wanted to hear. On the face of it I prefered Herschel to Burnham. Unfortunately my husband hasn't seen it so he doesn't really know how to react.

Thanks Sue
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Suesole,

I can't undertand your decision - appeals are not fun and the outcome sometimes seems too much of a lottery for my liking.

Why don't you ring and ask to go round Herschel? It might put your husband's mind at rest.
capers123

Post by capers123 »

Guest55 wrote:I can't undertand your decision - appeals are not fun and the outcome sometimes seems too much of a lottery for my liking.
I can understand SueSole. When we were applying for Primary Schools many moons ago, we discounted our local one (OK, but uninspiring - we left it on the list as a fallback) and went on the waiting list for two other schools.

We started an appeals process for the one of them that I really liked (it was a small school with less than 30 per class therefore we could appeal). I sent in all the docs and had a very strong case.

A week before the appeal was due, we got to the top of the waiting list for the other school (pretty good), and were offered a place. We took it and dropped the appeal. I did this after some very long chats with the head at the 'appeal' school who was most supportive. I still wonder, 6 years on, if we made the right decision.

One other thing... I actually did enjoy putting the appeals docs together, and was quite looking forward to the panel, as a chance to 'argue/debate' with the admissions authority within a legal framework. And, no, I'm not a lawyer!
Capers
Appeal Mum

Post by Appeal Mum »

Capers,

I think Guest55 meant CAN understand. The rest of the sentence makes more sense in that context.

It doesn't sound like a comment Guest55 would make. :D

AM
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Oops yes - I did mean can - sorry ... the sentence doesn't make sense otherwise - nor my second comment :oops: