Last Minute - Selection Review v IAP

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Etienne

Re: Last Minute - Selection Review v IAP

Post by Etienne »

grammertic wrote:with a massive bias in one area - nb does that matter)
Not necessarily, if you're referring to 100 for maths. However, when there is a weakness in one of the component 11+ scores, it would help show this was a blip if you happen to have compensating alternative evidence. For example:
maths (11+) 100
numerical reasoning (CAT) 128

(Unfortunately not all schools do CATs.)
Evidence from most recent CAT that 121 is achievable if not yet achieved (progress over time from 110 to 119/121 in CATs).
Not sure if you're confusing CATs with SATs?
Is this the 111+ you refer to?
No - "predictions" refers to the school's KS2 predictions for the end of Y6. The review panel would probably want to see 111-120 for reading & maths, and GDS for writing.
I need to understand
Do we need KS2 5 rating?
Level 5s (I think that's what you're referring to) are no longer used. As explained above, the review panel would probably want to see 111-120 for reading & maths, and GDS for writing.
Don't have a WISC score - I can see this could help at appeal but needs separate assessment. Is that right?
Yes, see B11 (h). There was a link to B11 in my previous post.
Too late for a review, but could be worth considering for an appeal.
Don't have GDS scores either - is this something the school should provide me with?
Yes - it means "working at greater depth".
Etienne
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

I have PMed you the past recommendations for the school, which are generally very accurate, although with one caveat.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Thank you for the additional information in the appealsbox.

This is a very frustrating situation! The Head has actually now come up trumps with what he has written, but unfortunately I feel that the CAT scores aren't high enough, and they reflect the 11+ scores. If only the most recent set had been included, I think there would be a fair chance of success. With the previous 3 years scores, it all looks "much of a muchness".

If you think there is any possibility at all that the Head would remove the full sheet of scores and simply put the most recent ones in Box 4, then I would say go for a Review. In their own documentation, the Heads lay particular stress on evidence from Y5, so the omission of the previous CATs would not necessarily be remarked upon.

I'm not sure it Etienne is around at present, but hopefully she will turn up shortly with her view ...
grammertic

Post by grammertic »

S-A,

Many many thanks for the info this morning.

I have sent over the report as you suggested! But just realised i didn't put my forum name on it.

Will resend.

Need more coffee.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now