Just below the threshold for Crypt

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Kendogirl

Just below the threshold for Crypt

Post by Kendogirl »

Hi

Have just got our results today and my son wanted to go to Crypt but the pass mark is 107.5 and he got 105 so very disappointed. Does anyone have prior experience of being just below threshold and then putting the school down as a preference and getting a place or not? I just don't know what to do, he is so upset and really wants to still take any chance he has of getting into the school. Thanks.
Louise
AJ11

Post by AJ11 »

Obviously each year will be slightly different but my sons friend scored 105 last year too and like you they were very disappointed. In March he was allocated the local comprehensive but a week later received a phone call from the Crypt offering him a place from the waiting list. He's now at Crypt and thriving on the gifted and talented register for maths. Don't give up hope is all I can say, there is still a chance of gaining a place. Quite a few of the boys who gained a pass will probably have passed for other grammars too and may well take up other offers.

The good thing is because they have changed the system you can still put Crypt down as your first choice and you should still be offered a place at your second choice school.

Best of luck to you and your ds, hope it all works out ok in the end.
Burneth

Post by Burneth »

Hi Kendogirl

I agree with AJ11 - don't give up hope! Put down Crypt as your first preference and that way you can go onto their waiting list and also appeal should you feel you want to. I know of boys who only just failed (which is what your DS has done so well done him for getting so very close) and they were offered a place from the waiting list a few weeks after allocation day.

The very best of luck to you and your DS

B

x
[img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;51;459/st/20080902/e/DS%27s+1st+day+at+senior/k/f5bf/event.png[/img]

PS I am Burneth and I am a lady....!
Kendogirl

Post by Kendogirl »

Many thanks for your replies. I had heard that last yr Crypt had places to fill due to low numbers taking the test because you had to fill in the admission form before you had the test results. Now you get the result first so I think that may have encouraged more boys to try for the test but we may still put it down as our first preference. As you say, many of those who have passed will take up places at other grammars. Louise
Louise
capers123

Post by capers123 »

Kendogirl wrote:I had heard that last yr Crypt had places to fill due to low numbers taking the test because you had to fill in the admission form before you had the test results.
Not so. Last years system was the same as this years. Last year was the first time for the new system.
Now you get the result first so I think that may have encouraged more boys to try for the test but we may still put it down as our first preference.
The good thing about this new system is just that - if you don't qualify for or get your first choice, it disappears off the list and No. 2 becomes No. 1.

I would also be inclined to go for a belt-and-braces job and 'phone the school either on or very soon after allocation day, just to make sure they realise you would like to stay on the waiting list. You should also consider appealing at that point, although you'll need grounds/evidence for that appeal (start gathering that now, just in case - you can always have a ceremonial burning of it if you get a place before the appeal).

Good luck.
Capers
Kendogirl

Post by Kendogirl »

Oh thanks for that, I thought that this yr was the first for this system. I have had a word with the school and the lady I spoke to didn't hold out much hope for him getting in as she said they had never offered a place to a score that low before which actually contradicts a previous reply to my question. So it all sounds rather confusing. We had thought about an appeal and I have gone through the appeals Q & A on this site and it all sounds rather daunting. However, our son does meet many of the academic criteria, top sets, v good school work etc. I think we will take it one step at a time and see what happens when we go on the waiting list next March. Oh what a muddle! Louise
Louise
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now