Bucks Selection Review

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
anotherdad

Re: Bucks Selection Review

Post by anotherdad »

Candiamo wrote:He wants to do the 12 plus if this isn’t successful but I know it’s hard to get a place in year 8 and by then my other son will be going into year 12 and I don’t think having a sibling helps then.
Which school is it? I'm not conversant with all the schools' individual policies. I know some drop the sibling rule after year 11 but perhaps not all do?

You're right to be cautious about the 12+. Spaces in year 8 are rare even if he qualifies and if you're some distance from the school in question, closer people will probably take any available places (assuming the sibling rule isn't applicable). If you do go down that route, make sure he's very aware of the likelihood of not succeeding. Apart from the potential for dented confidence if he does not qualify for a second time, he may not commit fully to settling in at his new school if in the back of his mind he thinks he'll be moving on after a year.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Burnham Grammar currently takes an extra class in year 8 - if you are in Berkshire this may be the school you are targeting? You would need to check that they are still doing this.
scary mum
rhiane

Post by rhiane »

I know the sibling rule for BHS is years 7-13 and for BGS it's years 7-12 (2018 admissions)

Best of luck
Candiamo

Post by Candiamo »

It’s Borlase. I did my best today, they were very nice so need to just forget about it now. The only thing that’s niggling me is that the admissions guy from Borlase said that if the sats scores were added up they would only make 117 so not that great. I did reply by saying they couldn’t be compared to 11+ scores because the highest possible mark on the sats is 120 and anything over 111 is classed as met plus. DS got 120, 120, 113 and I asked his teacher to clarify today after school and she said they are top 1% scores. I think the panel understood my point but I found myself worrying about it after and doubting myself, was I clear enough.
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

They average to 117. Well, 117.67 to be precise. His "only" descriptor sounds a bit churlish to be honest. Don't beat yourself up about it, the panel will recognise the scores for what they are.
Candiamo

Post by Candiamo »

Just got appeal letter, unsuccessful as the said SR was FCO. Absolutely gutted. So wish I hadn’t done the SR.
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

Sorry to hear that. It's easy to apply hindsight and regret your course of action but I think you said it yourself in your opening to the thread: Chances were statistically slim on that score and you had nothing to lose. Had you skipped the review and gone to appeal, the test score would still have been a significant hurdle and you'd also have to get through the oversubscription element.

If you are still thinking of the 12+ there are plenty on here (including me) who have been through that route and can advise you.
Candiamo

Post by Candiamo »

Thanks very much, he says he wants to do the 12+ and I can apply to the school in November. Any advice would be appreciated.
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

Candiamo wrote:Thanks very much, he says he wants to do the 12+ and I can apply to the school in November. Any advice would be appreciated.
Which school is it? Some schools administer their own and others ask Bucks County Council to do it for them. My advice below assumes it's one of the latter when it comes to the timeline but the principles still apply even if the particular school has a different timetable for it.

My general advice would be to play down the 12+ and perhaps even consider telling a white lie for now and saying that it's not something you want to pursue. He may not settle at his allocated school if in his mind he thinks it might be a temporary home and he won't endear classmates if he creates the impression he thinks he's destined for "better" things. Let him enjoy the summer with the certainty of where he's heading in September and help him throw his energies into settling in. See how he gets on. If by November it looks as if it perhaps isn't the right place for him, take a look at the reasons why. If the primary reason is that he isn't being challenged, speak to the school first to make sure they are aware and give them a chance to improve things.

After all that, if you still want to consider the 12+, you can apply without him knowing and you have until the Christmas break to register him - there is no advantage to registering sooner. That gives you a whole term to assess whether it's a good idea or not. He'll have friends, sports, clubs and a routine by then so you really have to know that it's worth a potential move. The test takes place in early February. If you think he would benefit from some practice, tell him about the option to sit it after he's enjoyed Christmas. That gives a month to do some refresher stuff and practice which if he's suitable for a place, is plenty of time. Do make sure he knows that even if he qualifies, the chances of a place arising are slim, unless you're near one of the schools that lays on an extra class in year 8 when your chances will be improved. I suggest he keeps it all a secret from his friends for the same reasons you keep him in the dark until Christmas.
Woobywoo

Post by Woobywoo »

Sorry to hear your appeal was not successful. I have read your thread with interest and compassion - we will not find out our appeal outcome for another 2 weeks at least. I understand your regret and disappointment but in the end it is very difficult to be brave enough to go down the appeal route and skip selection review - when the latter gives you a really good chance of a place if qualified and the former doesn’t. You did the right thing and you gave your child the best chance. You can’t regret that. I appreciate anotherdad’s wisdom re 12+. My DD doesn’t want to sit it - she is too traumatised by the 11+ and we don’t want to put her through it again unless she wants to. So assuming our appeal is unsuccessful this is the end of our 11+ road for DD1 (2 more to go). Your child sounds more positive and wants to have a go. I agree - try to forget about it for a while and come back with a fresh perspective in the autumn. I am giving myself this advice too as I type!

Cyber hug to you.
Woobywoo